cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

travis575757
Newcomer

Ryzen 2700x Kernel Crash on Windows/Ubuntu

I keep having an issue on my new machine where the kernel keeps crashing on my OS.  I've tried both windows and ubuntu and both

have the same exact issue. The kern.log for Ubuntu shows a trail of null terminators (\00) and windows gives a fatal kernel error in the vent viewer.The issue seems to be independent of system load as I've done an 8 hour cpu + memory stress test with stress, 3 hours with stress and prime95 and 3 passes on memtest86 with 0 errors.  The computer is usually usable for extended periods of time but will crash if left on for times ranging from hours to days.  I want to use the machine as a server so this isn't acceptable.

So far I've tried reinstalling the OS, downgraded BIOS to before the AGESA update, changing usb perherials, checking ram timings and slot placement and probably some other things I can't think of right now.  I'm convinced the issue is related to the motherboard or cpu, I'm just not sure which.

Specs:

MSI x470 Gaming Plus

Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (8GBx2) 2400 MT/s

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080

Ryzen 2700x

0 Likes
1 Reply
misterj
Big Boss

travis575757, please post more of your specifications - power supply, Windows version, other HW.  What slots are your memory sticks in?  Have you tried running with one stick at a time?  I had a similar problem on my first Ryzen and it required an RMA of the MB due to bad slots A1 and A2.  The other two slots never failed.  So, please put one stick in slot A1, then A2, etc till all slots are tested - may take a while.  If none fail then try the other stick.  I also would suggest you do a Load UEFI Defaults and go to the latest UEFI.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

0 Likes