Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

dethtrap89
Journeyman III

Ryzen 2700x buzzing only in game

First off here's my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yPZxLJ 

Ryzen 2700x came paired with wraith prism cooler.

I built this system about a month ago and I was using an nvidia gtx 750 something. I bought an Xfx RX590 and everything was working smoothly that first night. The next day I started up the PC and loaded up Vermintide 2. As soon as I hit the menu or during gameplay I will get this nasty buzzing sound and upon closer inspection it sounds like it's coming from the cpu area on the mobo. Now when I launch games theres that fun buzzing noise plus my games will freeze about 5 minutes in and it will hard crash to the desktop. It crashes the game and then kills my display for a minute before it recovers back to the desktop.

Again it only does this in games. I have done stress tests and nothing happens, but as soon as a game is loaded, I get buzzing and then crashing.

I used to have an asus prime x470 pro and I thought maybe the vrm on it was bad so I swapped it with an msi gaming plus x470. Still same problem.

Here is a short video I took of the noise. Again it's only coming from the cpu area.

new ryzen 2700x whining/hissing - YouTube 

I have been chasing this problem for awhile now and everyone I've asked says its coil whine but I have replaced every part of this build with new parts and still same problem

TL;DR System ran fine night before, day after cpu buzzing and crashing.

0 Likes
7 Replies
rodrox
Adept III

So this is a new build, what version of Windows are you using (1903?) what version of AMD chipset  drivers ?

I have a similar problem with a Ryzen 5 3600 build, everything runs fine, primer95, cinebench, etc, but everytime I run a game a strange noise (which sounds like coil wining but not exaclty) start around the cpu area.

Lucky for me, games don't crash, I treid with diferent coolers (case fans disconneted), tried with a diferent GPU card and also removed my PSU from the case (Seasonic 80+ bronze 620 watts), and the noise comes form the cpu area indeed, maybe near the pci-e port.

Im guessing a mother issue, but what if its a CPU issue?

Also someone told me to try a fresh install of Windows. I haven't had the time yet, but I guess I will try soon as I can.

0 Likes

you are not the only one bro i also have that problem with my ryzen 7 2700x. I have it with rx 5700xt do you still have that problem cause i cant fix it if you have any ideas

0 Likes

could be a range of loose parts that make noise

check to be sure you are using a proper grounded outlet

0 Likes

It sounds like GPU Coil Whine. 
I cannot click on that PC PartPicker link. 

Many AMD GPUs hiss like a snake whan game is launching and the FPS is running at 100- 200FPS. 
R9 Fury series were bad. 

AMD removed FRTC from Adrenalin 2020 drivers and not sure it works during game loading anyhow. 
But you can try setting Frame Rate Limit in game using RivaTuner Stand alone downloaded from Guru3D. 
Other than that you can try turning on Radeon Chill and setting Chill Min = Chill Max = 100 etc. 

Could also be the PSU though. 

thanks that could be helpfull

Latest RivaTuner Standalone version I am running is here: 
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html
There may be a more up to date version...
Cheers.

0 Likes

I forgot to mention - do not install MSI Afterburner toget RivaTuner functions. 
MSI Afterburner really messes with Adrenalin Driver functionality - especially fan curves. 
Do not install any 3rd party GPU OC tools and expect Adrenalin 2020 Driver and GPU to work properly. 

0 Likes