cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

speedphlux
Adept I

Ryzen 2400G - Did I drew the short stick ?

Hello there !

I was getting really tired of my old Athlon II X3 450 & GT 630 combo lately, so I saved up a bit of money for a brand new PC. With the dGPU market as it stands, the new Ryzen APUs looked like an awesome bargain, so I went for it. Here is what I ended up with :

Ryzen 5 2400G
ASRock B450 Fatal1ty Gaming K4
16 GB (2x8) HyperX Predator C15 @ 3000 (QVL - HX430C15PB3K2/16, downclocked them to 2933MHz as I've heard that Ryzen doesn't like 3000 very much)
DeepCool DQ550ST 80+ Gold Power Supply

So I've built this PC about a week ago now and after battling the TDR BSOD for a day or two, I'm finally victorious and have a stable PC. Up to a point however. Leaving all settings at stock, the PC is flawless at running stress tests, but there are substantial artifacting while playing games, coupled with the occasional micro stuttering. Not much, but it's getting annoying. I've read around a bit more and it turns out I wasn't the only one experiencing that sort of behavior. So I did as recommended - tried to overclock the iGPU part of the APU. My 2400G suffers from a "Black Hole" in the GFX Clock speeds - anything between 1250 to 1450 MHz, results in a BSOD, regardless of voltage settings. At 1500MHz - it's perfectly stable ... with 1.325V at the GFX voltage. That is without any artifacting or micro stuttering. Problem is, 1.325V at the GFX pushes the same current thru the motherboard SOC and I'm not sure if the ASRock B450 Gaming K4's VRM can handle that safely. I did tried posting my question there (ASRock forums), but it seems noone is willing to post a response. I've seen other people being able to get 1500MHz GFX Clocks at much lower voltages (1.1-1.2V), while my PC "hangs up" very quickly with anything less then 1.3V. Even at 1.3V, sometimes it locks up after an hour or two. 1.325-1.35 seems to be the sweetspot for my sample, but that seems borderline dangerous, so I've dialed in back down to stock settings, while I'm trying to figure out a solution.

It is awkward, coz HWMonitor reports max VDDCR_SOC at 1.104V with the stock settings, but when I try to "lock" the iGPU at it's stock settings with 1240MHz at 1.1125V (in order to minimize the micro stutterings, which I assume come from the GFX clocks jumpin all over the place from 400 to 1240MHz while gaming), it just locks up. Even if I manually set the SOC from the BIOS at 1.1-1.2V, the iGPU is unstable with a set clock speed that is lower than 1500MHz. But in order to get stability at that clock speed, I need to jump the GFX voltage above 1.3V.

CPU on the other hand seems excellent. 3,9GHz with 1.4V at the VCORE without any problem. For some reason the "stock" ASRock settings are pushing 1.45V thru the VCORE, but it seems stable and it's not overheating, so I guess I can't question that. When left alone to do it's thing, HWMonitor reads peak of 1.472V and the idle goes all the way down to 0.208V. But I'm not interested in CPU Clock speeds. I could even live with a downclocked version if that would solve my iGPU struggles. The games that I play are not the usual AAA titles (mainly World of Tanks and Star Wars The Old Republic), so I'm fine with lower CPU clocks. But that iGPU micro stuttering and artifacting is really bothering me.

Any ideas ? Or am I just unlucky ?

0 Likes
22 Replies