cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jdrobinson314
Challenger

Re: Ryzen 2400G - Did I drew the short stick ?

That's great, hopefully you can get that extra bit out of it. Ryzen master can be a fairly formidable piece of software but it doesn't apply permanent changes out of the box - bios will - it's just more accessible and boot fault tolerant.

I would make a restore point in windows before you drive in, just in case.

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Get a GTX 1060 or RX 570 and use that for gaming

0 Likes
speedphlux
Adept I

I do plan some upgrades in the future, but I'll wait for AMD's next generation of APUs and dedicated video cards before I make up my mind on anything. At the moment, the GTX 1660Ti looks tasty and within reach of my budget, but I don't want to rush out before I see Navi and Ryzen 3000.

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

speedphlux wrote:

I do plan some upgrades in the future, but I'll wait for AMD's next generation of APUs and dedicated video cards before I make up my mind on anything. At the moment, the GTX 1660Ti looks tasty and within reach of my budget, but I don't want to rush out before I see Navi and Ryzen 3000.

Discrete cards have many advantages, and June seems to be around the time when AMD is expected to make some kind of comments

The recent mess at TSMC will slow production for a month or two anyway

0 Likes
speedphlux
Adept I

I did some tiny research around and was able to get my RAM up to 3200MHz with 16-18-18-36 (SK Hynix CJR). Not ideal, but 20 points more in Cinebench R15. Ryzen Master is something. I could get the CPU all the way up to 3.9GHz, but even when I downclock the CPU and undervolt it, I couldn't get a stable overclock of the iGPU to anything stable within the voltage that ASRock support said was considered stable (1.25V). Was able to get the CPU all the way down to 3 GHz at 1.25V being stable, but after that when I tried to OC the iGPU, it wasn't going as smooth as the CPU. The "Black Hole" still persists - anything between 1240MHz all the way to 1500MHz just simply crashes, no matter the voltage. At 1500Mhz, the only stable voltage settings seems to be 1.325V-1.35V, which is a little bit too high for my liking. My BIOS is version 1.80. I think this is the latest version for the moment. I haven't checked ASRocks' site for about a month now.

I guess I'm done trying to figure it out for the moment. Will have to wait for Ryzen 3000 APUs and perhaps consider a motherboard change as well, in case my 3+3 VRM isn't enough. All those rumors about the next Ryzen 5 APU being 8 cores and 16 threads, I'm not sure if 3+3 will be enough for it. Perhaps I'll have to go down to Ryzen 3 APU ? Or I could simply slap in a dedicated video card once I see what Navi has to offer.

For now - I'm happy with it. It works, it does what it's needed form, and I've finally was able to squeeze out a little bit more from my RAM.

P.S. : I did noticed something odd in Ryzen Master - my CPU Wattage was shown as 40W even when under stress, rarely peaking at around 45W. I went around the BIOS and saw a settings about the wattage of the CPU and I changed it from "Auto" to 65W, but when I ran another test, the CPU Wattage stayed the same - 40W. No idea what's up with that.

0 Likes
jdrobinson314
Challenger

That 3200 mhz oc over spec over listed 3000 is awesome! This is much better news for the igpu than it would be for cinebench in terms of game performance.

I don't see what you're using as a cooler - the stock cooler has been identified as a no go for any overclocking - if your using that stock cooler, then your probably hitting a wall with spike thermals somewhere in the sense-mi network of thermal probes that's causing the OC issues but this is just me speculating...more on that down below.

There are numerous videos of people getting 1400+mhz out of the igpu - vega is technically in there, it should boost to 1546 like its big brother. But they're all using aftermarket cooler from the likes of noctua or similar for cups specced at 95 watts or so.

Since you mention it - can you change the TDP to something greater than 65 watt. You might be hitting some sort of motherboard/bios induced socket power limit or safety system.

You said ryzen master is telling you its 40 watts? It might not be accounting for the igpu - I would suspect that a hungry igpu would easily exceed 25 watts. I haven't used ryzen master in a while.

This leads me to a thought on your motherboard - no I'd doesn't look like it has the best power phase cooling but the motherboard says it supports 105 watt tdp - it seems mediocre at first glance and could probably use or needs good airflow at that rating.

If you can set the tdp to 95 watts - be sure to drop your SoC/igpu voltage back down to 1.2v - this was where most over clockers stopped raising the voltage. Actually, I would reccomend doing that first anyway, if you resume oc testing. 

0 Likes
speedphlux
Adept I

The max settings on the wattage settings is set to 65W, prolly being tied to the CPU I have installed on the motherboard. Initially I was eyeing out an MSI B450 Tomahawk, but by the time I've gathered all the money and went to make the purchase, my local retailer ran out of stock on all MSI motherboards for the AM4 socket. That ASRock B450 Gaming K4 was the best B450 I could find in stock. I asked around if they were gonna get a new supply of MSI AM4 motherboards, but they've said that they'll be waiting for the B550 and X570 for a new batch of MSI AM4 products. Awkward, but I can't shop online where I'm at, because of all the taxes applied to it, makes a motherboard like the MSI B450 Tomahawk, cost in the region of 225-250 USD equivalent. If I had that sort of money for a motherboard, I could've sneaked in an ASRock X470 Taichi from my local retailer.

I am still rocking the stock cooler - yes. I was keeping track of Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE, but I never got around to actually buying it. CPU is currently idling at around 38 C and goes up to 76 C when under prolonged stress tests (hour and a half to two hours). I can't see the iGPU wattage in Ryzen Master, so I'm not sure what's up with that. You're prolly correct thou - 25W assigned to the iGPU and another 40W going into the CPU seems fair point. Could be thermals - yes, but I've seen plenty of videos of people hitting 3.9GHz CPU clock and 1400MHz-1500MHz iGPU clock on the stock cooler. At much lower voltages. Perhaps I should really look around for an MSI motherboard before jumping the gun on a Ryzen 3000 APU in the future ? Just thinking out loud

I did checked out AIDA64's to try figure out what the wattage was on the iGPU, but that thing just reports what feels like random numbers as GPU Wattage. It's jumping around while running Cinebench R15 from 14.64W all the way to 113.84W. Looked unreal, so I just ignored it. I'm fairly sure that if either my CPU or iGPU was pulling 113 Watts on my stock cooler, I'd be scrapping melted goo off my motherboard right now. I mean the PC is up and running since October 2018, so yeah - unreliable.

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

speedphlux, without screenshots of Ryzen Master (RM), we have no idea what you are talking about.  Please post a few screenshots and we will take a look.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
speedphlux
Adept I

Bone stock settings, CPU Power draw shown as 39W at the moment, just started Cinebench R15.

0 Likes
jdrobinson314
Challenger

That vddcr soc voltage at 1.1 - > 1.2 is the voltage I was referring to overclockers looking into for igpu over clocking.

I'm not sure what they were setting CPU voltage to, I've seen it range in discussions I know precision boost knocks it over 1.4 when everything is set bone stock but this is intermittent.

On my 1800x it shoots up to nearly 1.5, which is worrisome - but I've got an NH-D15S on it,  so it rarely goes above 60c and levels off clocks under full load.

That taichi motherboard had some comments about it thrown around by buildzoid. I'm looking at the asrock fatality x470 itx ac for a future build. Doesn't look like it's got the best vrm cooling solution. I've trusted Asus now for many years - I may look over there.

You're right, the better motherboards are expensive still. I don't think AMD intended A or B chipsets to be ultra tweakable - it's up to the manufacturer though.

0 Likes