cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

computernewb
Newcomer

Ryzen 1920x overheating at idle:

I'll preface by saying I'm far from a tech whizz, I know almost nothing about PC Hardware. A month ago I purchased a new PC, and it's run fine until yesterday.

At first I received a CPU fan speed error, searched around and multiple sources said to set the speed to Ignore since its water cooled. This solved the error, but booting the PC causes it to overheat at idle (and even in the BIOS setup), reaching 90+ Celsius if left to heat up (I've switched it on a few times in the process of trying to find the problem and to fix it, and shut it down early).

All the fans are working. The cooler (Corsair Hydro H110i AIO) I think is not, one of the tubes is getting hot right where it attaches to the (forgive the lack of a technical term) main part of the cooler, while the other isn't. Not only this, BIOS is showing N/A pump RPM (though I don't know if this is a recording malfunction or the cooler is shot).

I'm certainly a little peeved given the setup is so young, and in desperate need of a solution. Any other details needed?

#

0 Likes
1 Reply
dcerisano
Journeyman III

I would suspect the AIO water cooler. They are over-engineered PITAs.

A 1920x requires only modest cooling, just the standard air cooler and a couple of venting fans should keep it idling under 40'C in the summer and 30'C in the winter.

Some suggestions:

• Make sure all your fans are creating a flow through the case and not trapping heat.
  • Check that the CPU power connector is securely seated.
  • Remove the CPU and clean off all thermal paste with ISO. Reapply thermal paste - nerd around on YT for a good method.
  • Try reinstalling your OS. It might be misconfigured.
  • Update your BIOS. Clear CMOS settings (reseat mobo battery).
  • Run with defaults at first.
0 Likes