Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jigzaw
Elite
Elite

Re: Ryzen 1700X 50 Celsius when Idle

Usually while on the bios the temperature is if you are still configuring the set up as usually run most of the cores at base speed. Once you get to Windows as it goes past stabilize loading, the idle temperature drops as the CPU load manage by OS. I will monitor the temp findings as I will get my ryzen cpu and motherboard soon

0 Kudos
shadowvrtwitter
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I'm in trouble simiar situation. when idel, my 1700x's temp is 60~70 celcius with asrock x370 gaming k4(bios 1.63)

I reinstalled wraith max again and again, but no use.

may I ask you what is the mainborad you use? thanks

baxxter81
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Same temperature with 1700X and "Asus Prime B350-Plus" with BIOS-Version 0503. CPU at 55-60°C in Idle. Downgrade to BIOS 0406 shows a lower temperature from 35-40°C in Idle and 50°C on load.

Sorry for my bad english

zedd137
Adept I
Adept I

Same here and very annoying. Asus Prime B350-Plus and Ryzen 1700X, with the current BIOS 0503 temperatures are much too high, 55..60°C in Idle and up to 95° with maximum load. Downgrading to 0406 everything is fine, Idle around 40°C maximum load goes up to the expected 75°C. The bad thing is, that starting at 75°C (which is really around 55°C) the BIOS set all fans to max speed so you can not get a silent system at all. For the moment I will stay with 0406 but there must be a fix from ASUS or AMD or I will throw out CPU and Mainboard and switch back to Intel.

0 Kudos
disi
Adept III
Adept III

Are you saying Ryzen runs hotter than my former FX-9590?

I have water cooling loop including the 1xGPU (390X) with a 2x and a 3x radiator. When playing games it runs at ~50C, idle at maybe 20-30C.

This review may just have very bad water cooling?

0 Kudos
redfury
Big Boss
Big Boss

Yes Ryzen is much hotter.

Very small crystal = small heat dissipation area +high CPU voltage> leads to very high temperatures.

CPU voltage in this case is much essential factor.

0 Kudos
zedd137
Adept I
Adept I

No, 1700X and 1800X intentionally report wrong temperatures to manipulate fan speeds.

Earnhardt
Paragon
Paragon

AMD Wraith Cooler Install 1700 - YouTube

been putting TIM on like this for Years with no issues.

0 Kudos
savagebeastzero
Miniboss
Miniboss

Hey all,

In regards to why the R7 1700X and R7 1800X are both reporting higher than expected temperatures, they're both working as intended. Although it would have been useful at launch for AMD to broadcast this to users earlier to save some the headaches and confusion when monitoring, they finally elaborated as to why users are witnessing this even when some are utilizing high-end liquid, water or air coolers.

Below I have pasted one of the many articles covering this subject since AMD has disclosed the inner workings of the T-Control/tCTL in conjunction with the junction temperature (Tj), how it's altering the offset and thus reporting incorrect thermals via the sensor with the intention of creating a more aggressive native fan curve for both the R7 1700X and the R7 1800X.

Hopefully this gains visibility, so all R7 1700X and R7 1800X users can make sense of the confusing data they've received while monitoring. Hopefully this is corrected in a future update, so valid monitoring can commence as per usual with data reflective of each users cooling solution.

Have a nice day all.

Source: AMD / Reporting: Overclock3D.net / Author: Mark Cambell

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_s_r7_1800x_and_1700x_report_higher_temperatures_w...

Tjr7.png

zedd137
Adept I
Adept I

Unfortunately this does not help to get a system with a reasonable fan control. BIOS goes to full speed at 75°C which is really only 55°C. This makes it impossible to create a system that is silent at low to medium load.