Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Caennanu
Journeyman III

Ryzen 1700 won't boot from usb

Good day all,

First timer to the forums, not a first timer to AMD products.

Got a question, as i can't figure it out.

I have an Ryzen 1700 cpu, i had this laying around from my old gaming setup, and figured i would build something with it to donate to a young family member for school purposes. So i plug it into my old MSI x370 gaming pro carbon mainboard, install an ssd, put in some memory sticks and plug in the usb to install windows.

And this is where the problem starts. First time it boots to the windows install screen, it bluescreens, and reboots. So i try a different usb stick, same thing. Okay, lets try a different platform, load Unraid on usb stick, this boots, recycles and comes back with the message the usb stick is non bootable. Even tho it tried to boot from it a moment ago?

So, i start swapping out memory sticks (2133 kingston kit and a 3200 corsair kit, running at stock), problem persists. So . . .  i plug in an 3700x from my current gaming rig. And it boots just fine. I plug in the 1700 to my gaming rig (which has a B550 tomahawk), with a working windows install, and corruption occurs and a plethora of other things are happening.

So i'm geussing the 1700 is defective, even tho it didn't do this in the past. and it has always been stored properly.

Now the question. Is this a known issue? (i couldn't find any info online) Are there any solutions? Would this perhaps fall under some sort of RMA? (even tho i purchased it back in 2017, so standard 3 year warranty has passed).

Would love to hear what ya'll think / suggest!

Kind regards,

Caennanu

0 Likes
2 Replies

No warranty, thats it from purchase date, whether used or not.

Was the x370 bios compatible with the 1700, and ram model ?

Sometimes what you think should work (from memory), need a reread of mobo manual etc...

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Yeah, warranty i figured. was just hoping maybe there was a call back type of thing like with cars, which superseed warranties :D.

Yes, the X370 has a compatible bios, as does the B550. Also have an msi mpeg wifi X570 with a compatible bios. It was also updated to latest available (from the red gui to the limited grey gui), issue remained the same.

And in terms of memory. I have checked the QVL list. The Corsair set is supported according it. Even tho its a 3200mhz kit, due to bios resets, it was running at 2133.

0 Likes