Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Ryzen 1700 voltage question

Ryzen 1700 CPU

ASUS prime x370 pro motherboard, latest BIOS (805), default settings

With default settings in BIOS my Ryzen 1700 CPU draws approximately 1.35 V in single threaded operation.  This is easily observable in the BIOS, i.e. I do not even need to boot into an operating system (photo attached).  I can boot into my OS (Linux 4.11.7 kernel) and confirm that when a single-threaded application is running the CPU draws 1.35 V.  Presumably this is a single core utilizing turbo/CPB to run at 3.75 MHz, but should it draw 1.35 V?  That seems high.  I can manually set the clock speed to 3.7 MHz and the CPU will draw significantly less (~1.22 V) on a single-threaded operation.

This shouldn't be a BIOS issue as under defaults the CPU should be running with its pre-programmed settings for clock speed and voltage.  I'm hoping someone can tell me whether this is expected behavior (should be easy to reproduce), as otherwise I'm concerned my CPU may have a problem.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Ryzen 1700 voltage question

It's just the motherboard being a bit safe in its voltage application, ASUS boards love to tick up the voltage. It is completely within the safe zone, and there is no problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

my 1800x would shoot clear up too 1.48v  and 4.13 ghz on auto of course its only showing that volt on 1 thread that jumped up. but i am a gamer so i dont like 1 or 2ms twitches or laggs so i just make my cpu stable. hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Thanks for the replies. I've found I can run stable with the default BIOS settings and p-state overclocking to 3.6GHz, topping out around 1.21V draw by the CPU.  So I'm sacrificing a tiny amount of single-threaded performance for lower power draw and higher multi-thread performance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

we need a section just for data bases and servers , been getting alot of questions on power conservation lately. personally im not worried about 2 dollars a month but a data base this is very important..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Mine happens that too, but if i let it on auto, it crashes (reset or displays BSOD with whea incorrectible error) but if i disable the turbo it never crashes and the voltages keep on great values, like 0,8 to 1 V tops. If i enable auto turbo it goes as high as 1,408V in idle on windows, on 3,08ghz.

0 Kudos