cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

axelalexson
Adept I

Ryzen 1600x XFR and other issues after BIOS upgrade to (AX370 5) F20

Recently updated my BIOS to F20 (Gigabyte AX370 gaming 5 board)
Noticed that the update made Memory much easier to run with the XMP profile working like a charm.
But...
-XFR is not operational anymore. The CPU is stock, never been touched. Yet XFR (Or Core Performance Boost) While set on Auto does not work. None of my cores goes over 3,7 GHz (they used to reach 4,1GHz in F8 BIOS stock) This does ruin performance a bit by about 10% (CinnebenchR15 dropped from 1262 down to 1105)
All CPU freq and Volt settings are set to auto. CPB is Auto. No idea why it wont boost at all.

-Linux does not boot anymore. Can't seem to get GRUB2 to boot anymore. Used to work perfectly with F8. Nothing happened apart from changing F8 to F20. Also can't find the (preferred OS:) option that F8 used to have.

Hope to hear of ideas on how to fix this

Cheers

0 Likes
6 Replies

You should ask this on the Gigabyte forums, as they created the BIOS.

0 Likes

Yes and once you ask Gigabytes forums you are forwarded to AMD as AMD makes the X370 chipsets and the updates to microcode.
And we start our chicken and egg problem, where the customer is supposed to suck it.

0 Likes

No, AMD updates the microcode, but Gigabyte creates the BIOS. If this were a problem with AMD, there would be problems with ASUS, MSI, ASRock, and other manufacturers as well.

0 Likes

Just telling you how I got here.

0 Likes

I know how customer service loves to play pass the potato, it's like how Microsoft blamed AMD for their faulty Spectre patch.

0 Likes

That BIOS is, in part, to deal with the CPU faults uncovered recently. Linux has still not been patched completely for many machines that made significant changes to the system.

0 Likes