cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

boekhold
Journeyman III

Re: Ryzen 10°C temperature fluctuations / spikes when running idle

I got a Ryzen 5 3600 this weekend, installed it with the stock cooler, and am running Ubuntu 20.04. I almost immediately noticed this "spike" behavior due to periodic fan noise on an otherwise (as far as I can tell) idle system:

pastedImage_1.png

Here's a graph showing the behavior. 60 second period, 1 second intervals. Blue is the fan, red the temperature, and on the bottom System Monitor with CPU utilization over the same period.

I've got an otherwise very quiet case, so I can live with the fan sound (don't hear it much with the case closed), but I have to wonder how this will effect fan live.

ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING, BIOS up-to-date, normal fan profile.

It will not impact fan life in any appreciable way, so you're good there.

If you want to greatly mitigate this issue, change your fan profiles so the minimum fan speed at whatever is "normal" for you (so, looks like anything under 40-45°C) should have the minimum speed be generally quicker (so, from 30°C to 45°C, instead of having the fan ramp up from 600RPM to 900RPM, have it set consistently to 800RPM.

Visually, something like this (my CPU fan profile):
ryzen_fan.png
Basically, I don't care how hot the CPU gets until it hits 60°C; in that whole range, just keep the fan spinning silently to move air. Once we get over 60°C, that means the computer is doing real work, so ramp up the fan accordingly (and quickly).  In my case, 60°C happens when I am gaming (few games), and 70°C happens when I am doing very specific workstation stuff (generally overnight style tasks).

Note: Your temperature ranges will vary compared to mine since you have a much different cooler (mine is much more efficient than yours), CPU (mine is less efficient than yours), and motherboard. Regardless, that flat area will fix the fan spin-up issue.

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

cpu temperatures fluctuate depending on the load, it is perfectly normal

when at idle, modern processors like my r5 3600 have core parking so it saves even more power long term

keep in mind the ryzen processors use a chiplet design so there are cases where one may carry some work while others are snoozing etc

0 Kudos
boekhold
Journeyman III

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I've set my fan profile to the following now:

pastedImage_1.png

I don't seem to have as many 'thresholds' as you to play with. Sound levels are less grinding now because it's more constant. Tctl at what I consider as 'idle' are quite a bit higher now however (between 50-55 celcius). I might just start looking at a more efficient cooler....

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

my cpu (r5 3600) is 65W TDP but I use the RGB wraith prism cooler so that the cpu can glow to give some light in the rig

I use MX-4 so my CPU tends to be very cool in actual practice with the default fan profile

The Hyper 212 is a very good aftermarket cooler

0 Kudos
nidzan
Journeyman III

I can confirm that every single AMD Ryzen CPU that I have bought had this issue. So far I noticed this in 1600,1600x,1800x, 2200g, 3600, 3600x and 3900x, combined with different, boards including b350, b450, a320 and x570. All had similar temp spikes, regardless of whether they were liquid-cooled or air-cooled. As for what is causing this issue, I have no idea, but it was present on every single Ryzen CPU that I have seen.

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

nidzan wrote:

I can confirm that every single AMD Ryzen CPU that I have bought had this issue. So far I noticed this in 1600,1600x,1800x, 2200g, 3600, 3600x and 3900x, combined with different, boards including b350, b450, a320 and x570. All had similar temp spikes, regardless of whether they were liquid-cooled or air-cooled. As for what is causing this issue, I have no idea, but it was present on every single Ryzen CPU that I have seen.

I suggest a very very thin layer of MX-4 which does work. Defects are at the microscopic level, more inefficient

0 Kudos
nidzan
Journeyman III

The problem isn't cooling it, it drops down instantly back to 35 degrees on water. I want to know the reason behind the spikes

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

nidzan wrote:

The problem isn't cooling it, it drops down instantly back to 35 degrees on water. I want to know the reason behind the spikes

You may need to stare at the task manager sorted by CPU to see what is using a lot of CPU

0 Kudos
rawr
Adept I

I have a 3700x in an Asus x570-e and Wraith Prism as cpu cooler (I had a Corsair H100i, but with it I had more noise and higher temperatures). This is the spikes I have in idle. Every 5 to 10 seconds it happens, the only way to get the cpu temp stabilized was to lower the maximum cpu usage to 99%. This is something to do with how AMD implemented the turbo boost and how it kick in.
I think the problem is that when the computer is in idle states, instead the cpu lower the clock frequency, it constantly keep boosting it, which is very different from the intel 4790k that I had before, which when the computer was idle, the clock frequency was at the minimum at around 800Mhz.
I already tried usmus power plan, ryzen balanced, normal balanced but all give the same behaviour, with the ryzen balanced giving a little more performance in cinebench than the usmus.
The only thing I could do for keep the fan noise in check was to edit the fan curve like others did. I set it flat to minimum rpm until around 48ºC which is around the maximum spikes temp I usually get and edit it from there, getting a maximum temp of around 72ºC under full load.

I don't like the way these cpu behave when in idle, but I think we can't do anything about it. Maybe it is just the way they implemented things on these AMD chips.

These are my temps, clock and coolers graphs in Aida.
temp.jpg

freq.jpg

coolers.jpg