cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Re: Ryzen 10°C temperature fluctuations / spikes when running idle

Try the power saver power plan and see if the causes your CPU to run cooler over time

0 Likes
daegis
Journeyman III

hardcoregames™‌ running powersaver is only thing that worked for me on 2600x to get rid of that temp spiking. I just run on powersaver until I need to do something that requires a higher clock. currently running a stable delta temp of ~+13C at idle.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

daegis wrote:

hardcoregames™ running powersaver is only thing that worked for me on 2600x to get rid of that temp spiking. I just run on powersaver until I need to do something that requires a higher clock. currently running a stable delta temp of ~+13C at idle.

Perhaps you need a Hyper 212 or other better cooler to get ahead of the CPU heat. I have used the Hyper 212 which is low cost and it does work well.

If you chassis has the room there is always an AIO water cooler that can be mounted on the top.

0 Likes

It seems AMD goes buck wild with power to wake up the CPU for maximum responsiveness; not sure exactly what the root of it is, but it doesn't seem to show up in task manager.  I'm guessing the CPU is seeing some load that it expects to last for a while, so it ramps up a CPU to everything it has, but by the time it's there, the task is already done.

I will say, with my Noctua NH-D14 (much older version of their current air cooler), I do not get this response with the stock curve.  I have the flattened curve mostly because I have a case resonance that I never want the fan to hit (Coolermaster HAF EVO; very bad case for quiet, very bad case for vibrations, fantastic case for thermals).

I'll also say, better thermal paste can have a significant impact.  MX4 is good, Noctua's stuff is good.  There's lots of options, you don't need to go wild spending a bunch of cash.

0 Likes
trinocerous
Journeyman III

I have the exact same problem. Starting with stock cooler and stock paste I noticed temps would go from 32C to 60C while idle. 

Ubuntu 20.04

ASRock x570 Steel Legend motherboard

Case has 6 fans. 3 out 3 in.

21C ambient room temperature.

Steps I have taken:
1) I bought mx-4 thermal paste and it seemed to make the issue worse. So, I took everything apart cleaned the cpu and stock cooler with rubbing alcohol, put it back together, same result.

2) Removed side panel while running for more air flow. Temps dropped 3-5C. Still jumping all over the place.
2) Cleaned everything up. Bought Noctua NH-D15 and used thermal paste that came with Noctua cooler. Temperatures still jumping all over the place and base is higher.

3) Cleaned everything up. Used mx-4 thermal paste and Noctua NH-D15. PROBLEM PERSISTS.

0 Likes
nidzan
Journeyman III

All right, I have posted here once saying that it is not a cooling/thermal paste issue, but a software issue, and I am here to confirm that. While I don't know what is causing the spikes yet. Switching the power plan to Power Saver (not Ryzen power saver) seems to solve the temp spike issue.

0 Likes
nicklaszs
Journeyman III

I know I'm months late but have the same issue... Had these temp spikes from 30-ish to over 50C every 10-30 seconds. Anyway, because of your last comment, decided to give it a shot myself and just switched power plan to saver and now it's been running at 38C for the last 10-15 minutes, but also noticed CPU usage is higher(up to 30%).

Testing High performance again brings back the temp spikes, but CPU usage hardly ever goes over 15%.

I don't know what to think of this now... It's just weird.

0 Likes
rhyslowrl
Journeyman III

This has been blowing my mind for the last 8 months.(Ryzen 7 3800x) I also have tried everything and even switched to a higher end motherboard (with better vrms and cooling for them), and water block thinking that might be the issue, but nothing works. It has to be in the software, or possibly a defective chip or sensor because it didn't do it for the first 6 months I owned my cpu and then just kind of started one day. I do not think it is possible for a cpu to heat up 10+celcius in less than a second, that is asinine. Just from feeling the warmth of the air and components in the pc I can say that the more accurate temp is definitely the temp that the reading falls down to rest on.

One wild theory I have is that maybe it could be that the software is calculating the temperature using the voltage, frequency and usage in an equation to give a very close approximate guess on temperature, which could potentially increase the speed in which we are able to view the current here and now temperatures so we can more quickly resolve issues, or to cut their own cost on the build of the processor maybe. But with the way amd processors operate can leave us control freaks scratching our heads. Again, this is a wild theory.

But I think it is more than likely just a weird software issue with amd or problem with the chip itself. 

0 Likes
boekhold
Adept I

Strangely enough my spikes seem to have disappeared somehow. Idle Tctl temps are now stable between 42-44 Celcius (a bit higher than the previous "lowest temp" but acceptable). I'm not exactly sure when the behavior changed however.

Since I last reported on this, I've had kernel updates (obviously), maybe those helped with this. I also installed a BIOS update a while back, but I think the behavior already changed before I did that. So to me, some change in the kernel seems the most likely reason my Tctl "idle spikes" have disappeared.

0 Likes