cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Th0m4_5c
Journeyman III

Rysen 7 3700x overheating and i cant figure out why.

Recently my CPU started overheating and idling at 95 Celsius. I noticed something was wrong when I started to get less than 60 frames in all my games even though I have the RTX 3070. I opened up Rysen Master with nothing open other than background processes and it was fluctuating from 85-95 degrees (with 2 fan AIO). I first thought it might be a driver issue so I reinstalled all the latest drivers for my hardware. Then I thought my AIO might not be working so I checked it and it is definitely running. So after that I changed my thermal paste and that still hasn't changed anything. If anyone has any ideas please let me know, ans if you think my cpu is faulty what are some signs that I should see.

0 Likes
4 Replies

From your explanation, the only reason for a cpu to reach overheating temperature at idle is a defective AIO or your AIO is not installed correctly or not making proper contact with the surface of the processor.

Most likely either the AIO pump is not working or you have a clogged input or output tubing or all of your liquid leaked out.

Could also be a defective Radiator fan but I don't believe that would cause your processor to idle at 85c -95C or above.

What is the Make & Model of your AIO CPU Cooler?

NOTE: You can use either the AIO Monitoring software or some other monitoring software to see if the pump is working or not or spinning at its normal RPM.

If the pump is not working that would definitely cause your processor to overheat on idle.

The Input tube from the Radiator to the processor should be slightly cooler than the Output Tube going back to the Radiator.

You should also feels a very slight vibration as liquid is flowing through the tubing.

The fans air flow should not be obstructed in any way.

Check for Air clogs or leakage.

Make sure the part that makes contact with the processor is on securely and tight to the surface of the processor.  It is evenly tightened down but not tight enough to strip the screws or damage the brackets.

EDIT: Has your computer shut down without you shutting it down yourself?  That is a good indication the processor overheated and shut down the PC before it became damaged.

Also do you have your Pump connected on the correct Motherboard Pump connector?

One other thing, check if there is any process running in the background using up CPU cycles...  Some malware will run CPU tasks (e.g. crypto mining) in the background and push your CPU to full load.  These will usually be at a low priority, so most of your daily tasks don't really get affected, but your CPU could be running at 100% 24/7 which would create the added heat.

QB

0 Likes

I checked my AIO already and it's running fine and when I changed the thermal paste I made sure it was contacting. The pump is definitely running as I can hear it as well as feel the water pumping through both tubes(which one is warmer than the other). I have the ENERMAX luqimax 2 fan I think and I've seen reviews that it's a really solid AIO, also I haven't even been running this PC for a year.

0 Likes

I have read that Enermax AIO has many problems with their AIO Products.

I suggest you open a Enermax Support ticket and ask them if they feel it is their AIO that is causing the unusual high temperatures at idle.

0 Likes