cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

motordyne
Journeyman III

Running 3970X all cores continuously at high load for C.F.D.

Hello All,

I would like to use the 3970X for processing Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD).   The way it will be used will put the processor(s) under a continuous high load essentially indefinitely.   The computer will be restarted every 1-2 days but it will otherwise stay engaged in endless and heavy number crunching. Days, weeks, months, non-stop heavy processing.

The plan is to cool the 3970X processor with the Cooler Master AMD Wraith Ripper ThreadRipper TR4 High Performance CPU Air Cooler: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/wraith-ripper/ 

Can there be any foreseen problems in the life or dependability of the 3970X processor if it is used continuously at high computational load, on all cores, combined with continuously high memory interaction?

The processor will never be overclocked.   The objective is to keep the 3970X running healthy and stable for a good long time (at least 2 years).    Would it be advisable to set the processor to a lower power setting from the "Ryzen Master ECO-Mode" setting?

I couldn't care less about the electric bill, but long term reliability of the processor and high processing speed are very important for this application ... Speed is very important but not at the expense of long term reliability.

Water coolers are being considered too but they also have their own set of reliability trades to take into consideration.  

If you have any recommendations please let me know.

Thank you,

Tony

0 Likes
3 Replies

Go with a decent 360 or higher AIO (ones with Full TRX4 support) as thats AMDs recommended cooling solution for anything above the 3900x, preferably ones that have thicker Radiators. Other than that, you can also invest in a good custom water loop to keep the temps+noise levels down.

Only need to make sure you have a decent amount of airflow inside the case when using AIOs or Custom water loop so that your boards VRMs dont get too hot from prolonged use under constant load.

misterj
Big Boss

motordyne, I went to water cooling several generations ago, and would never run a TR on air.  Even AMD recommends water.  I am completing upgrading my 2990WX to a 3970X and will use my Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler.  The Enermx Liqtech have a bad reputation but I have had no problems.  The 360 would be better but no way would it fit my case.  I have four fans on my radiator and as jamesx380fx says you need good airflow.  Here is AMD's recommendations.  I have never tried ECO-Mode, so cannot say.  I probably would run full speed and not worry about it.  Enjoy, John.

Enermax Liqtech cooler are great hardware and performance wise, only problem most poeple have had with it is that enermax used a not so great liquid coolant on it which results in the microfins just below the pump getting gunked up over time due to corrosion or contaminant buildup which in turn results in CPU temps getting worse over time, 2+ years of use according to some users of it, with some experiencing it sooner within 4 months of use.

The good news is that enermax does cover it under its warranty so replacement is possible, and even in the case that it doesnt, its still possible to clean the microfins and replace the coolant yourself if you want to as there are no shortage of how to tutorials online for cleaning and replacing coolant on Most Liqtech AIOs.