cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

antrix
Adept II

ROG Zenith Extreme & Threadripper 2990WX Instability

Good day/night everyone! I have a problem with my new pc build. Here is a specs:

MB: Zenith Extreme

CPU: Threadripper 2990WX

GPU #1: ROG RTX 2080 Ti Matrix

GPU #2: ROG RTX 2080 Ti Matrix

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4 32GTZR (F4-3600C17D-32GTZR)

PSU: ROG Thor 1200W

System isn't overclocked, RAM works on default freq (2133), CPU in the default mode, GPU's isn't overclocked too. All these pc parts has worked perfectly on my previous build - maximus xi extreme/i9-9900k (i've replaced only mb and cpu to ze/2990wx).But, sometimes my pc is "freezing" if i can say so... well, i think it would be better to say that pc become "laggy":

1. If i closing any window, its still displayed on the taskbar

2. I can't open 90% of any app's.

3. I can't reboot or shut down pc, except reset/power button on the case

I'll attach a short video to this message, in which everything is shown more clearly. 

0 Likes
49 Replies

antrix, does ASUS BIOS offer Power_Supply_Idle_Control?  If so please set it to Typical Current Idle.

pastedImage_1.bmp

Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I installed this option according to your advice, and immediately after the OS was fully loaded, the problem appeared again. And what’s interesting - after rebooting (via reset), some of my applications were "reset"... for example, a purchased copy of the utorrent started to re-apply activation and downloading the pro version, and only half of the settings were reset from the telegram app. As for the reset - it was the same as on zenith extreme, steam also logged out, as if I had never been logged in. Specifically, in this case, i do not think that the problem was reproduced precisely because of this option in the BIOS, just a coincidence. The main thing is that it was reproduced exactly like on the previous ZE board.

P.S. Just noticed that aura settings have also been reset (due to armory crate settings reset i guess).

0 Likes

Sorry, antrix.  I do not know what to comment.  This setting was useful on both my MSI and my ASRock MBs.  Thanks, John.

0 Likes

I'll try it anyway on my ZE mobo, thanx for your help!

0 Likes

antrix, the only thing I can suggest is try a board with noting but a fresh W10 and needed drivers - nothing from ASUS.  You can attach a dump for me to look into, if you like.  Best of luck, John.

0 Likes

Sure! Tomorrow i will install my ZE back and test it only with psu option and drivers only (with g.chrome). 

0 Likes

Thanks, antrix.  Hope it is stable, John.

0 Likes
rickgude
Journeyman III

Hi antrix,

Did you eventually find a solution to this problem? I experience the exact same thing.

Cheers,

Rick

0 Likes

Yeah, the problem was in CPU. He went back to the store for a warranty replacemen.

0 Likes
antrix
Adept II

So, the problem was with the CPU. I sent it under warranty, AMD confirmed the problem (thanks to them that everything turned out very quickly and without problems) and sent me a new CPU. Yesterday I received it, replaced it, so far everything is working fine now (I hope everything will be fine in the future as well).

Thank you all and once again thank you AMD for a quick warranty CPU replacement (without any sarcasm)!

0 Likes