cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

antrix
Adept II

ROG Zenith Extreme & Threadripper 2990WX Instability

Good day/night everyone! I have a problem with my new pc build. Here is a specs:

MB: Zenith Extreme

CPU: Threadripper 2990WX

GPU #1: ROG RTX 2080 Ti Matrix

GPU #2: ROG RTX 2080 Ti Matrix

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4 32GTZR (F4-3600C17D-32GTZR)

PSU: ROG Thor 1200W

System isn't overclocked, RAM works on default freq (2133), CPU in the default mode, GPU's isn't overclocked too. All these pc parts has worked perfectly on my previous build - maximus xi extreme/i9-9900k (i've replaced only mb and cpu to ze/2990wx).But, sometimes my pc is "freezing" if i can say so... well, i think it would be better to say that pc become "laggy":

1. If i closing any window, its still displayed on the taskbar

2. I can't open 90% of any app's.

3. I can't reboot or shut down pc, except reset/power button on the case

I'll attach a short video to this message, in which everything is shown more clearly. 

0 Likes
49 Replies

Did a clean install of Windows 10 1093, and ensured your RAM is on your motherboard's QVL list?

1. I did. 10 or 15 times. Various versions (1903 and lower).

2. No, RAM is not in QVL list, which was updated 2 years ago. Sadly, but true. I wrote to the g.skill support and they replied that these memory modules work and will work fine with this motherboard especially without OC.

3. System was stress-tested via AIDA64, also memory was tested via memtest - zero errors or bsod's.

0 Likes

Your video showed an unresponsive Taskbar. Found another website that indicates the Graphic Driver could be at fault and mentions Nvidia specifically in the article: Full Fix: Unresponsive Taskbar in Windows 10, 8.1, 7 

Note: just for troubleshooting purposes try running your computer with just one RX2080ti installed instead of two. See if it makes any difference and the taskbar issue goes away.

EDIT: I realize you mentioned that the only hardware change was the motherboard and CPU.  Sometimes if RAM is not completely compatible with the CPU can cause freezing or BSODs.  MEMTEST86 is great for checking to see if your RAM is physically defective but not  if it is compatible.

I suggest you open a Support ticket with your motherboard's Manufacturer and see if they believe it might be a RAM Memory issue.

Yes, I also thought that the problem was in the second gpu. I pulled it out of the slot and the computer was working on one that was already installed on the previous PC. The problem was repeated, as usual.

I talked a lot with asus support, they wrote today that I would send the motherboard to a service center. And no, problem can't be fixed by restarting explorer process, i've tried that Today I ordered a used motherboard to put it on time while mine is in the service center for diagnostics. I'll see the day after tomorrow if this problem repeats on it.

antrix, I suspect your memory is not a problem but please DL, Run and post a screenshot of Thaiphoon Burner (free).  Search should find it and if I post a link my reply will be delayed a few minutes to a few days.  Please do not forget a screenshot of RM.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

This one?

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

antrix, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) simply drag-n-drop image into your reply.  Please also do as black_zion recommends and install the latest W10 1903.  I am at patch level 388, and you should be also.  Your system MUST have a fresh install of W10 if you have changed the processor since the last install.  I also have a 2990WX which has none on your symptoms.  Please tell us your CPU cooler and do you have four 8GB memory sticks and in what slots?  What is "ze/2990wx"?  Please make sure there is no MB software running such as OC application.  Several MB vendors include software that causes real problems.  You should be running NONE of these.  I did look at your video and could make little from it - sorry.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

There is no OC software. I reinstalled windows many times with clean install from ISO downloaded from ms site.

CPU cooler is ROG Ryujin 360. RAM - 4x16 (64gb total)

ze - rog zenith extreme

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Your problem seems to be a Windows issue or possibly a Driver issue affecting your Taskbar.

Most site suggests to restart Explorer.exe in Task Manager to get the taskbar to work correctly again.

Found this website that gives various solutions to Taskbar issues and their fixes: Windows 10 Taskbar Not Working? 6 Fast Fixes 

Thanx for reply, but i've used the same version of nvidia driver on previous pc build (with ix extreme mb / i9-9900k).

Have you tried asking Asus if the RAM is compatible with the Ryzen CPU?   According to your answer G-Skill said the RAM was compatible with the motherboard. What about the Ryzen?

Just for troubleshooting purpose, remove ALL RAM from the motherboard and just use ONE STICK OF RAM and see if the freezing continues. If it doesn't that indicates RAM not being compatible with the Rzyen or Motherboard.

If problem persists, then it could be a defective Motherboard or possibly Ryzen CPU. Or some hardware or software is not compatible with the Ryzen CPU.

Maybe you should open a AMD WARRANTY REQUEST and  see what they recommend from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form -

I'll try to use only one module, also i took a kingston ram from my friend, i will try it too.

Well, same problem even with one memory stick. Also i've tried a my friend's ram (HyperX / HX436C17PB3K4/32) and pc didn't even boot - it turned off (psu power off, not stuck/freeze) immediately after ram initialization BUT before cpu initialization (judging by what is displayed on the ice display of the motherboard). Today/tomorrow my "new" (used, purchased on our local online marketplace) gigabyte motherboard and i'll try to repeat all this problems on it. If there will be all ok, then my Zenith Extreme will go back to the store... otherwise the cpu will go there (all other pc parts have been tested by time and a similar problem has never been repeated on the previous motherboard/cpu).

antrix
Adept II

Damn! Hey, I just corrected the name of the topic, why did all the messages disappear? Moderator, please restore everything as it was before.

0 Likes
antrix
Adept II

just in case, I will answer all the questions that were asked earlier (and deleted):

1. Tested with one gpu - the result is the same.
2. Did a complete full stress test using aida64 and memtest. No errors.
3. G.Skill support answered that this memory works fine with this motherboard.
4. The video card drivers used the same version on the previous pc.
5. The OS has been reinstalled many times and in different versions.
6. No overclocking software has been installed.
7. Restarting the explorer process does not help.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_1.png

Thanks, antrix.  The thread disappeared yesterday but is all back today.  I have never seen that before.  I think the forum is using 1947 technology and has many faults.  Please tell us how much memory W10 is seeing (all 64 GB?).  Does CPU-Z show the memory running Quad channel?  You have the famous Samsung B-Dies (as I do) and that is good memory if you do not have a bad stick or wrong slot (tell us your slots).  RM looks OK except for the MEM VDDIO showing NA.  This tells me someone or something is messing around in your BIOS.  I suspect you have an ASUS MB which is noted for OC software problems.  Please open Settings-Apps and look for and uninstall any junk like Performance Enhancer or other junk you cannot identify.  Do a Clear CMOS (follow user manual instructions).  Do not run DOCP.  Be sure to get the latest AMD drivers here.  Catch you later.  Enjoy, John.

Here it is

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

Thanks, antrix looks good.  Please let me hear when you have looked for and removed errant applications and done a Clear CMOS.  Sure hope it helps.  Let me know your memory slots and tell us the current version patch level of W10.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

RAM inserted in a1/b1/c1/d1 slots. Current win10 version - pro/1903

what has already been done:

1. lowered / raised the bios version
2. installed various OS versions
3. after installing the os did not install any applications except drivers
4. installed various versions of drivers
5. deleted generally all possible applications that the OS automatically installed
6. left only one memory stick
7. I tried my friend's ram (pc turned off after memory was initialized but before the cpu was initialized).

0 Likes

Thanks, antrix.  You memory should be in A2, B2, C2, D2 - but not you problem.  What patch level is your W10 - mine is 418, just updated yesterday.  Get your AMD drivers ONLY from AMD.  I think MB vendors are sneaking their OC software in with their DLs.  I suggest never DLing anything but BIOS from the MB vendor.  I get all my drivers from the manufacturers, never the MB vendor unless forced.  Please post a fresh screenshot of RM with your post.  Here is mine:

pastedImage_4.png

Notice my MEM VDDIO is 1.36 Volts.  I think yours should be about 1.20 Volts.  My RM version is 2.0.2.1271 - yours should be also.  I recommend you run only the latest versions of W10, drivers and BIOS.  I still think some bad OC SW is in your machine.  The ultimate answer is a fresh install of W10, after a format of the C-Disk and install nothing but the AMD drivers from AMD.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

Thanks, antrix.  I see your MEM VDDIO is still NA.  Have you done a Clear CMOS?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Yeah, sure, few times. As well as bios reflashing. BTW, on any bios version i can't select boot device in bios itself (on exit there is a message appear that i didn't made any changes) so i need to spam book key each time i need to boot from my usb flash.

0 Likes

antrix, the fact that MEM VDDIO is NA tells me something is wrong.  You can try a fresh install of W10 with a format of C: disk and see if RM (2.0.2.1271) shows a real voltage.  Do a Clear CMOS during the install and nothing from your MB Vendor.  Or you can contact your MB Vendor and ask them what is going on.   I am out of ideas as long as MEM VDDIO is NA.  Good luck.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I did os reinstall many times with full system drive delete and recreating partition table. I think a problem in mobo.

0 Likes

OK, antrix.  I am very curious what your board vendor says about MEM VDDIO being NA.  Please ask them and also ask them how to make it show the true Voltage and why a Clear CMOS does not do it.  I hope you will let us know the results.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I wrote them yesterday and waiting for answer. And of course I will write here about the course of the "investigation". Today I will also report the results of the PC with another motherboard.

0 Likes

Thanks, antrix.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

The motherboard I bought on the online marketplace was burnt (and I didn't have the opportunity to check it when I got it), meaning I came across a scam. Well, sooner or later it was going to happen. Today ordered a new Zenith Extreme Alpha (i had "basic" ZE Right now) and in 2 days it should sent. It's some kind of black streak with hardware

Sorry for the bad luck, antrix.  John.

Yesterday, finally, i received a new motherboard (zenith extreme alpha), and today i installed it instead of the previous one (zenith extreme). At this moment uptime is more than 3 hours (after installing all drivers and restarting the OS), so far everything is fine, there has been no "freeze". In general, this period of time is not an indicator that there is no more problem, but still.

0 Likes

Great, antrix!  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Nah, problem is not in the mobo, freezing repeated today. Goodbye 600$. Damn. It remains to replace only ram and cpu. And even on new motherboard MEM VDDIO/VTT still NA in Ryzen Master.

0 Likes

antrix, have you asked ASUS about MEM VDDIO ?  Thanks, John.

0 Likes
antrix
Adept II

an interesting observation - on the Zenith Extreme freezes were much more frequent (10-15 times were repeated during the day), and on the ZE Alpha there was only one (but exactly the same) from the moment the mobo was installed. Guys, i don’t know what to do, this is a complete nonsense. As soon as new CPU (1990X) and RAM (one from QVL) will be delivered, i will install ZE board back and install new CPU first and only then new RAM. Oh yes, there’s another interesting bug on the ZEA - you need to turn off the Wi-Fi adapter in the BIOS and turn it on only AFTER the wifi drivers are installed, otherwise there will be a stable BSOD (at least at the time of installation, even when loading an already installed OS) and this is confirmed by many sources and topics (including this forum).

0 Likes

antrix, where are you getting your drivers for AMD and other vendors?  Are you RMAing the memory and CPU (2990WX??).  Are you getting anything from ASUS other than BIOS?  Thanks and good luck, John.

System

EDIT: Please right click This CPU-click Event Viewer-Windows Logs-System-Filter Current Log...-check Critical-OK.  If there is anything there, please post a screenshot.  I am hoping to see Kernel-Power events.  If so select one and click Details in the lower window and post a screenshot.

0 Likes

Im getting it in our Ukrainian global pc store, in which im always purchasing pc parts. And no, i didn't get anything from asus except some recommendations which didn't helped.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Thanks, antrix.  Please post the Details tab.  Like this:

pastedImage_1.jpg

I get a bunch because my MB (MSI) is bad!  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Sure

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes