cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

antrix
Adept II

ROG Zenith Extreme & Threadripper 2990WX Instability

Good day/night everyone! I have a problem with my new pc build. Here is a specs:

MB: Zenith Extreme

CPU: Threadripper 2990WX

GPU #1: ROG RTX 2080 Ti Matrix

GPU #2: ROG RTX 2080 Ti Matrix

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4 32GTZR (F4-3600C17D-32GTZR)

PSU: ROG Thor 1200W

System isn't overclocked, RAM works on default freq (2133), CPU in the default mode, GPU's isn't overclocked too. All these pc parts has worked perfectly on my previous build - maximus xi extreme/i9-9900k (i've replaced only mb and cpu to ze/2990wx).But, sometimes my pc is "freezing" if i can say so... well, i think it would be better to say that pc become "laggy":

1. If i closing any window, its still displayed on the taskbar

2. I can't open 90% of any app's.

3. I can't reboot or shut down pc, except reset/power button on the case

I'll attach a short video to this message, in which everything is shown more clearly. 

0 Likes
49 Replies

Re: Threadripper 2990WX Instability

Did a clean install of Windows 10 1093, and ensured your RAM is on your motherboard's QVL list?

antrix
Adept II

1. I did. 10 or 15 times. Various versions (1903 and lower).

2. No, RAM is not in QVL list, which was updated 2 years ago. Sadly, but true. I wrote to the g.skill support and they replied that these memory modules work and will work fine with this motherboard especially without OC.

3. System was stress-tested via AIDA64, also memory was tested via memtest - zero errors or bsod's.

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

antrix, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) simply drag-n-drop image into your reply.  Please also do as black_zion recommends and install the latest W10 1903.  I am at patch level 388, and you should be also.  Your system MUST have a fresh install of W10 if you have changed the processor since the last install.  I also have a 2990WX which has none on your symptoms.  Please tell us your CPU cooler and do you have four 8GB memory sticks and in what slots?  What is "ze/2990wx"?  Please make sure there is no MB software running such as OC application.  Several MB vendors include software that causes real problems.  You should be running NONE of these.  I did look at your video and could make little from it - sorry.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

elstaci
MVP

Your problem seems to be a Windows issue or possibly a Driver issue affecting your Taskbar.

Most site suggests to restart Explorer.exe in Task Manager to get the taskbar to work correctly again.

Found this website that gives various solutions to Taskbar issues and their fixes: Windows 10 Taskbar Not Working? 6 Fast Fixes 

elstaci
MVP

Your video showed an unresponsive Taskbar. Found another website that indicates the Graphic Driver could be at fault and mentions Nvidia specifically in the article: Full Fix: Unresponsive Taskbar in Windows 10, 8.1, 7 

Note: just for troubleshooting purposes try running your computer with just one RX2080ti installed instead of two. See if it makes any difference and the taskbar issue goes away.

EDIT: I realize you mentioned that the only hardware change was the motherboard and CPU.  Sometimes if RAM is not completely compatible with the CPU can cause freezing or BSODs.  MEMTEST86 is great for checking to see if your RAM is physically defective but not  if it is compatible.

I suggest you open a Support ticket with your motherboard's Manufacturer and see if they believe it might be a RAM Memory issue.

misterj
Exemplar

antrix, I suspect your memory is not a problem but please DL, Run and post a screenshot of Thaiphoon Burner (free).  Search should find it and if I post a link my reply will be delayed a few minutes to a few days.  Please do not forget a screenshot of RM.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

antrix
Adept II

Yes, I also thought that the problem was in the second gpu. I pulled it out of the slot and the computer was working on one that was already installed on the previous PC. The problem was repeated, as usual.

I talked a lot with asus support, they wrote today that I would send the motherboard to a service center. And no, problem can't be fixed by restarting explorer process, i've tried that Today I ordered a used motherboard to put it on time while mine is in the service center for diagnostics. I'll see the day after tomorrow if this problem repeats on it.

antrix
Adept II

This one?

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
antrix
Adept II

There is no OC software. I reinstalled windows many times with clean install from ISO downloaded from ms site.

CPU cooler is ROG Ryujin 360. RAM - 4x16 (64gb total)

ze - rog zenith extreme

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes