cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

darknoodles
Journeyman III

RMA Processing for faulty cpu

How long does amd usually process or reply to rma requests? Bought a 3600 from newegg after 2 months it started to fail. Apart from the usual automated reply from amd, i havent heard or received a reply from them for 5 days now. Thanks. This is my 1st time processing rma so kinda annoyed it takes long hehe

11 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

What is the error you get?

0 Likes

a lot, ranging from but not limited to apc index mismatch, irql not less or equal. me and a friend verified its the cpu after replacing it with his 3600x no bsod happened for the next 2 days of testing. we tried to reseat my 3600 after 2 days and 15 mins of running started to bluescreen again

0 Likes

Have you given the required values manually and made trials with the BIOS for stabilization? It is not normal that a processor that was working properly at startup would immediately fail.

0 Likes
gnoll
Adept II

Hi darknoodles‌,

I think the RMA time depends on where you are located (different RMA/support centres) and the number of requests they are managing.

I can give you an indication of how my recent RMA went, this happened from the UK:

• 20th September 2020 22:00: Opened the RMA Request
  • 22nd September 2020 12:27: AMD Replied and requested more information
  • 22nd September 2020 12:54: I Replied to AMD
  • 24th September 2020 06:17: AMD approved the RMA and sent me a prepaid shipping label
  • 24th September 2020 15:00: I sent the CPU
  • 25th September 2020 12:57: AMD Sends an email saying that the processor passed the inspection
  • 26th September 2020 05:48: AMD says the replacement CPU is ready to ship
  • 29th September 2020: I Receive the CPU

In total it took 9 days for the whole RMA process. Maybe if you post your country someone from your same country can confirm how long did it take for them.

Have the errors you got disappeared?

0 Likes

My issue was that the CPU was failing randomly, restarting the computer and the motherboard would report DRAM error.

I tried the CPU on two different computers, the issue was definitely the CPU, likely its memory controller.

I have been using the replacement for more than a week and aside from a single BSOD (driver issues), it's looking fine and the system it's stable.

I waited about 3 weeks for an RMA from them about 8 years ago. I waited about 4 weeks for an MSI motherboard earlier this year. My guess is that about 2-4 weeks in likely normal. Obviously this year with Covid everything has taken longer. 

0 Likes

Please indicate the improvement you got with RMA in the future.

0 Likes

No idea what you are asking. My last RMA with AMD was 8 years ago. It took about 3 weeks which I thought was perfectly average. I was letting the OP know how long an RMA from AMD took for me. Exactly what the OP was asking for. Not sure what it is you need to know more from me. 

0 Likes

Sorry. I thought you were looking for a RMA for your new Ryzen processor.Was your problem solved 8 years ago? Was the problem with the processor? Has the problem causing RMA become evident with use for the new CPU?

0 Likes

Yep it was an old Phenom II x3, I had replaced under warranty. It had stability issues. AMD diagnosed it must be the processor and replaced it no issues and I still have it's replacement running today. I am not having any issues today with any RMA's. I had no issue back then with the RMA either.