Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

nicco
Adept I

Reduce TDP Ryzen : compatibility ?

Hi,

I would like to buy a Ryzen (3, 5 or 7) but I would like to reduce the TDP to 35W (because I can't find Ryzen 4000 GE).

I would like to know if all Ryzen (2000, 3000, 4000) can be lowered at 35W ? With any motherboard ?

Is there a list of compatible processors with lower TDP ?

Thank you !

14 Replies

You can manually underclock it, cap the multiplier and voltage to very low levels, using Ryzen Master to show the power consumption. Most B and all X series motherboards will be able to accomplish this, though it will take some trial and error to obtain the optimal speed and voltage settings for 35w.

Thank you ! I'm using Linux, is there an alternative for Linux ? This is why I would like to configure it from BIOS, simply by changing the TDP value.

0 Likes

As soon as you manually under clock it, it is still going to be an all core clock and thus likely raise the voltage higher if left on auto than if you just left the processor at defaults. 

I know of no way to manage this from within Linux. 

I don't know about Linux either, but I would suggest asking in a Linux oriented forums, such as the Phoronix forums.

nicco
Adept I

Thank you, I'll look at this. And what about Ryzen 4000GE ? I can't find it, not released yet ? It could be a good alternative.

0 Likes

As the Ryzen 5000 series launch is imminent, it's likely been discontinued and will likely not be able to buy one at retail.

Thank you, I will wait for Ryzen 5000 instead of 4000.

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

002.jpeg

The new generation BIOSs have TDP limit support. You can give a limit you want to the system with the BIOS. By following this method, you will not lose single core performance.

0 Likes

Thank you, what is your motherboard and processor ?

8th generation Intel. But this image belongs to an AMD system. You can limit packet TDP, as you can see. And this way your single core performance will not decrease. Decreasing the multiplier to lower the TDP will cause you a loss not only in multi-core but also in single-core performance. It's not necessary. Ryzen Master is unnecessary...

0 Likes

I can't send pictures anymore. Fortunately, that was before I answered you with PM.  This is a very fun place my friend. Goodbye everyone...

0 Likes

I have some bugs too, I can't navigate to the website correctly. Perhaps

the forum migration starts ?

Thank you for your pictures, so values from CPUID HWMonitor are correct ?

My actual i7 7700 indicates low value for Powers Package (between 5 to 15W,

min 2.30W, max 47.24W), I'm surprised.

Le dim. 8 nov. 2020 à 15:22, mstfbsrn980 <amd-external@jiveon.com> a écrit :

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: Reduce TDP Ryzen : compatibility ? in Processors

0 Likes

CPUZ and HWmonitor. As I mentioned before, some features of k-CPU z-mobo may be required for Intel systems. I am not sure. But there is no lock for AMD. I know there can be a TDP limit for every Ryzen system. To be sure, you can examine the motherboard BIOS manual. I can no longer upload pictures. Maybe there is a relocation as you mentioned. However, PM does not support pictures either. For this reason, I uploaded pictures here.

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

1.BMP

ASUS MultiCore Enhancement feature prevents the processor from limiting TDP.

2.BMP

You can limit TDP with Internal CPU Power Management features.

Capture.PNG

And this is the result. All of the cores turbo to 4.7Ghz. But as soon as it was full, the processor slowed itself down according to the TDP like you want...