cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Fwq14
Adept I

Recommended temperatures for Ryzen 5 4500U

Hello, I just got a new laptop powered by Ryzen 5 4500U. The laptop has an aluminium chassis that can get hot during long loads, while rendering a video, for instance. But my laptop's fan works worryingly quietly, though this is withing the limits set by the manufacturer. The CPU temperature generally hovers around 80 degrees, and I cannot even reduce the frequencies by choosing a more energy efficient power plan while on AC power. My previous laptop died 7 years after buying it, probably due to a heat related issue (the laptop also fell from a short height and was given to a well-known repair shop to fix the aux. power issue with it, and it worked for only a day before it died for good, and the diagnosis was that the CPU has stopped working, which I knew usually happened about 5 years after buying the laptop with most brands), and I want my new laptop to last for longer, possibly for 10 years, because the brand of the manufacturer is known for its reliability compared to other laptops.

But technology has advanced a lot since then, especially because new Ryzen processors came out. And while there is no way for me to change the fan curves in the BIOS, or the frequency of the processor, I found a way to change the STAPM limits and the temperature limit to force my laptop to run much cooler with a only a minor performance decrease, because the additional performance achieved by increasing the TDP to very high values is negligible. Changing the STAPM limits on mobile processors is the best and the only way to optimize your laptop, as you may know.

I want to know what temperatures I should generally keep either my processor or my north bridge region (that's what has stopped working on my old laptop, which may have heated up and stayed hot because the old factory thermal paste hasn't been changed in 5 years, but that was not my fault exactly) at. Something that is considered to be the average temperature of either the processor or the motherboard that I can comfortably keep my laptop at. Also I would like to know if my guess as to what killed my laptop is true and to what extent.

0 Likes
1 Solution

According to AMD Specs on that mobile Ryzen Processor it is 105C:

Screenshot 2021-03-24 172051.png

That probably is the Maximum Operating Temperature of the Mobile Processor. That means that once the temps starts reaching or has reached 105C, the processor will automatically start to throttle (reduce speed) to keep the temps at or below 105C.

Note: To help the laptop to run cooler you can always purchase a Laptop Cooling pad to help it from getting too hot under heavy loads.

It has  been mentioned by Tech sites that Laptop Cooling pads does help keep a laptop running cooler than without it.

This Tech website list the best laptop Cooling pads for 2021:https://www.techradar.com/news/best-laptop-cooling-pad

Overheating is probably the biggest contributing factor in a laptop overall age.  Dropping a laptop is probably the best way to make your laptop a paperweight.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply

According to AMD Specs on that mobile Ryzen Processor it is 105C:

That probably is the Maximum Operating Temperature of the Mobile Processor. That means that once the temps starts reaching or has reached 105C, the processor will automatically start to throttle (reduce speed) to keep the temps at or below 105C.

Note: To help the laptop to run cooler you can always purchase a Laptop Cooling pad to help it from getting too hot under heavy loads.

It has  been mentioned by Tech sites that Laptop Cooling pads does help keep a laptop running cooler than without it.

This Tech website list the best laptop Cooling pads for 2021:https://www.techradar.com/news/best-laptop-cooling-pad

Overheating is probably the biggest contributing factor in a laptop overall age.  Dropping a laptop is probably the best way to make your laptop a paperweight.

0 Likes