cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

xAcerna
Adept I

Recommended temperatures for 5800X (and 6700XT)

Hello Everyone,

Its another post about 5800X temperatures im afraid.. I have looked around on here and other forums, and didnt find the answer to the specific question that I have

What temperature would you recommend to have (under max load) for a 5800X?

I have read that temperatures of up to 90 (I have actually hit 93C during gaming, although often it peaks at 80C) are expected for the 'hot' 5800X cpu. Right now I idle at around 40-45 C with a 150'Watt' cooler.

That being said, I have budget for a better cooler (was looking at the Noctua DH15S, which is over 200W cooling). I was wondering if this is a worthwhile investment to prolong the life of my 5800X, or if this is not really money well spent, and should stick to the current cooler/current temperatures.

In addition, I also have 6700XT AMD edition (founders edition?). Gaming on this combination is flawless, but when monitoring temperatures, the GPU hits over 90C on junction and around 80 on the gpu. Should I look into undervolting/reducing power to GPU to stabilze temps? (I was playing Project Cars 3 while recording the 80C CPU temps and 90C GPU temps, while framerates were very stable). I understood that temps up to 100-110 might be allowed on AMD GPUs?

My case is a Kolink Void, and i have 6 fans installed. I can ramp up fan curve on case fans, but temperatures didnt come down too much, while noise increased significantly.

So: If you could choose: Would you leave CPU temps at 80C while gaming (or even 90C during spikes), which is apperently 'to be expected', or look into getting a new (better) CPU cooler?

0 Likes
1 Solution

The 5000 and  6000 Series GPU card all have the same Maximum Operating Temperature (Hot spot) of 110C. The GPU card has several Thermal sensors throughout the GPU Card. If any of those Thermal Sensors reaches 110C the GPU card will automatically start to throttle or slow down to keep the temperature at 110C or below. This is by design.

But trying to keep the GPU card below 110C is preferable if possible.

The 5800X Processor Maximum Operating Temperature is 90C and does the same thing as the GPU card when it reaches its Maximum Operating Temperature.

In my opinion, I suggest to keep the processor's temperature at 80C or below. The cooler the processor runs the better for the processor. Even though it is designed to run at 90C for extend periods it isn't advisable though.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

The 5000 and  6000 Series GPU card all have the same Maximum Operating Temperature (Hot spot) of 110C. The GPU card has several Thermal sensors throughout the GPU Card. If any of those Thermal Sensors reaches 110C the GPU card will automatically start to throttle or slow down to keep the temperature at 110C or below. This is by design.

But trying to keep the GPU card below 110C is preferable if possible.

The 5800X Processor Maximum Operating Temperature is 90C and does the same thing as the GPU card when it reaches its Maximum Operating Temperature.

In my opinion, I suggest to keep the processor's temperature at 80C or below. The cooler the processor runs the better for the processor. Even though it is designed to run at 90C for extend periods it isn't advisable though.

Thanks for your reply!

I will look into getting a better cooler, since I also thought (but didnt know for sure) that these temps are not optimal for prolonged use.

Good to hear that these temps are good for my 6700XT.

Final update!

I have installed a better CPU cooler, and temperatures dropped 10 degrees (nearly 15 in idling), so it was definitely worth checking out a better cooling solution. I got mine for 50 euros 2nd hand, maybe others can find a similar bargain as well.

I still do have Turbo Boost Overdrive 'throttled' as many other people have as well to values of 120,75,110 (dont know the abbreviations). This works wonders and i have about a 1-5% (max) decrease in performance, compared to other scores in 3DMark CPU test.

What was the better CPU cooler that you installed?

Thank you.

0 Likes

Hey,

Since my goal was to build a PC from mostly 2nd hand parts, I was limited in my choice. I went with the Noctua DH15S (The S variant is slimmer, which would ensure that the CPU cooler wouldnt be hanging over my RGB RAM). My initial cooler was a Cooler Master Evo 212, which would have been perfect for almost any other (non high end) CPU

This DH15S cooler has a supposed 200W cooling power, but if you care less about asthetics, the DH15 or the Dark Rock Pro are also very good air cooling solutions. Both I could find 2nd hand for around 50 euros. Perhaps it is also smart to buy the Noctua cooling paste, since I have other cooling paste, which possibly means that a bit of the power of my cooler is wasted on the lower quality cooling paste.

0 Likes