cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

draconicwraith
Journeyman III

Recommendations on a chip to replace my 9590.

My current CPU has worked amazingly well for almost 5 years now, but it is time to upgrade.  I was wondering what people would recommend for a gaming rig.  Looking for something on the less pricy end but still good quality.

0 Likes
10 Replies

Well, the Ryzen 2000 series are being cleared out by manufacturers these days, the Ryzen 7 2700X is about $250 while the Ryzen 7 3800X is $400, both are 8 core 16 thread processors. Both are very capable gaming processors.

0 Likes
waltc
Miniboss

You will be amazed at how far behind even an R5-3600 will leave your overvolted&overclocked 9590...;)  You have some good times ahead....!

0 Likes
draconicwraith
Journeyman III

So far I see no reason to go beyond the Ryzen 5, as more than 6 cores is a waste.  Nothing uses more than about 2 these days.  So far I am quite happy with my 9590, but it is just getting old.  I would easily put my 9590 up against any of the new Intels, and watch Intel get blasted out of the water, lol

0 Likes

Please tell me you aren't that misinformed, and are being sarcastic.

Neither misinformed nor am I being sarcastic.  It has been one of the best chips I have ever owned.  Never had a problem on mine or the dozens of computers I have built for my customers.  True, they run a little on the hot end, and take a lot of power.  But they are rock solid, and VERY dependable.

I can only comment on my own personal experience with them.  Perhaps if you try to overclock them you have issues, but since there really is no reason to overclock CPUs these days, I have never seen an issue.

0 Likes

I'm not going to get into the details, because it'd take up several pages of posts, but needless to say that most programs are capable of at least 4 threads, Ryzen 1000 series processors are, on average, 50% faster per clock than FX series processors, and Ryzen 3000 series processors are another 35%, on average, faster than the Ryzen 1000 series. Intel, on the other hand, especially the 9700K and 9900K, are even faster than that. So you go ahead and put your 9590 against "any of the new Intel's", or any of AMD's processors in the last 3 years, and you'll be beaten so badly you'll cry in a corner like a whipped pup.

0 Likes

Perhaps in benchmarks.  In real world use?  Not so much.  Believe whatever you want, I can only go on what I have seen and experienced.  That being said, this is not the topic of the post.  If you can't keep to the topic, please refrain from commenting in the future.

0 Likes

Yes in real world use, not just synthetic benchmarks. You asked, in a user to user forums, for recommendations for your "gaming rig", and I'm trying to explain to you how slow your chip really is, and how technology has changed so you can stop believing your misconceptions, but I can see you're not interested in hearing about it. Good luck, someone else can help you. Thread unfollowed.

nickjackalson
Adept III

what gpu and resolution are you gonna use? your existing cpu is a bottleneck for gpu’s faster than a 1060 6 GB/RX570, if this is your gpu selection, dont bother upgrading if you are playing games other than starcraft 2 (uses only 2 cores, 2010 game, ancient game engine)

and even 6 core non ht intel chips stutter on games, so you need at least 6 cores with smt, the answer is

get either 3700x or 3600 non x or x

0 Likes