cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

alex221
Adept II

Recommendation to upgrade my cpu

If I upgrade the CPU can get more performance? Or do I need to upgrade the video card ? 

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI
AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 (Vega 10 XL) (Sapphire Technology Limited)

2 Solutions
hlaks
Adept I

Your board is certainly compatible with recently released parts such as the 5000 series. 

If you want to upgrade the cpu I would recommend any of the recent ryzens I have the 5600x in my rig and I have been absolutely astounded at how powerful it is.  A cpu upgrade would give better performance in certain applications with your current video card.  Your card according to benchmarks is being bottlenecked by the cpu however it is unclear by how much I saw numbers from 28% to 1%.  I tend to think it's more than 1%.   If you can figure that out I think that will answer your question whether it's worth it or not and benchmarks might give you an idea of the performance increase.      

Your card looks like it is able to run a fair amount of stuff still.  I personally wouldn't buy a new card right now unless you can find one for around msrp, otherwise you will probably be way overpaying.  I've read that sometime this fall they are suppose to come down in price.  

Is that true? 

No one knows      

View solution in original post

Unless you posted the wrong Motherboard, according to MSI Support CPU SUPPORT LIST for you motherboard it doesn't support any AMD Processors from the 1000 nor the 2000 series  cpus: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-B550I-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI/support#support-main-block-qvl

Mainly 5000 and some 3000/4000 series CPUs are supported.

I went to PCPARTPICKER and inputted your Ryzen 5 1600x to show all compatible MSI Motherboards. None were 500 Series. Only 400 & 300 Series MSI Motherboards.

But if it is working on your motherboard I suggest you ask MSI Support to update their CPU SUPPORT LIST to include the 1000 series CPU processors.

You don't need to upgrade your GPU Card if you decide to upgrade your processor. Only if your GPU card is really old.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kurdtnz
Adept III

Unless Im mistaken, you cant run a 1600X on a MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI motherboard?

I install the ryzen 5 1600x and works fine on B550 Chipset

https://imgur.com/a/44uAvxb 

0 Likes
hlaks
Adept I

Your board is certainly compatible with recently released parts such as the 5000 series. 

If you want to upgrade the cpu I would recommend any of the recent ryzens I have the 5600x in my rig and I have been absolutely astounded at how powerful it is.  A cpu upgrade would give better performance in certain applications with your current video card.  Your card according to benchmarks is being bottlenecked by the cpu however it is unclear by how much I saw numbers from 28% to 1%.  I tend to think it's more than 1%.   If you can figure that out I think that will answer your question whether it's worth it or not and benchmarks might give you an idea of the performance increase.      

Your card looks like it is able to run a fair amount of stuff still.  I personally wouldn't buy a new card right now unless you can find one for around msrp, otherwise you will probably be way overpaying.  I've read that sometime this fall they are suppose to come down in price.  

Is that true? 

No one knows      

Unless you posted the wrong Motherboard, according to MSI Support CPU SUPPORT LIST for you motherboard it doesn't support any AMD Processors from the 1000 nor the 2000 series  cpus: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-B550I-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI/support#support-main-block-qvl

Mainly 5000 and some 3000/4000 series CPUs are supported.

I went to PCPARTPICKER and inputted your Ryzen 5 1600x to show all compatible MSI Motherboards. None were 500 Series. Only 400 & 300 Series MSI Motherboards.

But if it is working on your motherboard I suggest you ask MSI Support to update their CPU SUPPORT LIST to include the 1000 series CPU processors.

You don't need to upgrade your GPU Card if you decide to upgrade your processor. Only if your GPU card is really old.