cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

pmjm
Adept I

Recommend a cooler for Threadripper 3970x?

Hi everyone,

I'd like to be on AIR if possible. I don't want the complexities of liquid cooling and my last AIO leaked and destroyed my video card.

Will the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 suffice? What does AMD recommend?

22 Replies

Re: Recommend a cooler for Threadripper 3970x?

AMD requires liquid cooling for high TDP Threadripper processors, and AMD will not honor warranty coverage for damage and/or reduced performance by using an air cooler. If you're that worried about a leak, get a Corsair, their warranty coverage includes damage to other components caused by a rare leak.

pmjm
Adept I

Thank you for your reply. But if liquid is REQUIRED then why has AMD certified these air coolers for 3rd gen Threadripper? If you watch the video they even call the Wraith Ripper "The Official 3rd Gen Ryzen Threadripper Cooler." Just wanted to see if there's an air cooler better than this for threadripper 3 or if I should just go with it.

My machine will literally be operated on a truck, with all the movement a leak is inevitable, I'd really like to avoid it.

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

pmjm, please see here.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
dacq
Adept III

See YouTube for “Deepcool Computex 2019 - Anti-leak AIO coolers”, a 9m56s video by GGF Events. You'll see the Assassin air cooler that has 300W of cooling, enough for a 3970x. Don't know if it's sTRX4 socket.

0 Likes

They do not say "Certified for 280w 3970X", the Wraith Ripper is designed for the much less powerful 2990WX with a 250w TDP, not the much more powerful 3970X with a 280w TDP, and the MasterAir does not list a maximum TDP.

And if your computer will me operated on a truck, then you will want a liquid cooler which is much easier to secure, literally just adding bracing to the hoses, instead of pounds of copper, aluminum, and plastic vibrating around, torquing the mounts.

0 Likes
lukx
Adept I

really would be nice to see some real cooler test for 3970x , I'm totally lost what to get. I watched tests between air top tier Noctua fro 1950x threadripper vs AIO and air smashed water. Now for new TR everyone is telling somethign different but no real tests to prove it. CPU is coming next week and I still don;t know what to do about cooling

0 Likes
pmjm
Adept I

Is there any risk of the liquid in the coolers freezing when I leave the truck parked in extremely cold weather?

0 Likes
pmjm
Adept I

I feel exactly the same way. Apparently all the content creators were sent review units with the NZXT Kracken X62, but many comparisons on 2nd gen Threadripper showed that the Noctua air coolers were just about as good. Does that translate to 3rd gen? Would love to see some comparisons. Everyone saying that 3rd gen has higher TDP than 2nd gen, but TDP is a useless metric for cooler choice. 

misterj
Exemplar

You two might consider e-mailing Enermax - they make both air and water.  I just got a reply from their support concerning using my current LIQTECH TR4 280 currently on my 2990WX and considering it for a 3970X build.  I switched to water several generations ago and my 2 cents is I would never have another giant noisy bulky air cooler interfering with my memory sticks again.  Throw in what black_zion said above and it is a lead pipe cinch!  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes