cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

RickyO
Adept I

Really Need Input on New Processor Choice

Windows11 is available.  All three of my workstations have previous AMD processors. Unfortunately, none qualify.  I'm standardized on gigabyte motherboards (so far).

I use the primary workstation for:  WebDev, Database Dev, Graphics (photo work, image creation and publishing [maybe some video production in the future but not sure when]); and general office work.  Second workstations have always been exact duplicates of my primary for redundancy.  Graphics cards for the new workstation is yet to be determined, but I'm an nVidia user.  Would like to have one capable of ray tracing (for graphics work); "if" and "when" they become available and available at a less than ridiculous price.  ABSOLUTELY NOT INTO GAMING.  Simply don't have time for it.  Tooooooo busy.

So, I really need some input as to which AMD processor(s) would be the best choice.  (Also, ... if you have some insights on best choices in the way of gigabyte mb's, I'm all ears.)  Please provide reasons (benefits) for the items you suggest.

Thanks in advance.

RickyO

12 Replies
RickyO
Adept I

Oh!  And, I use 3 monitors currently, but want to add a 4th; so, the graphics card or combo needs to be able to drive all monitors.

0 Likes
hitbm47
Forerunner

Hi @RickyO 

If you are not looking to do gaming at all, I think an APU chip of AMD would be able to do what you describe pretty efficiently.

I expect it would be able to drive at least 3 screens, but for example, a Ryzen 5 3400G (5400G might be the new name/model) has 8 physical cores/threads if I remember correctly and is slightly strong than a Ryzen 5 1600 at multi-core even. In addition, it has quite capable integrated Vega 11 graphics to do pretty decent graphic stuff.

I would bet on getting a 5000 series APU, since it requires newer motherboards. But 3000 series is great as well.

Kind regards

0 Likes

Thank you for the input.

I tend to prefer separate CPU and graphics card.  I just don't want to put any restrictions on any ray tracing capabilities.  Cost is not high on the list of priorities, (I only purchase once, but turn the system on and use it thousands of times.  My current primary workstation has lasted 5 years, which is longer than I expected; and has been nearly flawless, with the exception of OS upgrades.

Thanks again; appreciated.

RickyO

Hi @RickyO 

Sorry, I forgot you mentioned raytracing. As far as I remember most of the Navi cards, especially the new RDNA 2 cards, namely RX 6000 series can do ray tracing.

Since the modern ryzen 5000 series CPUs are insanely powerfull, I think a Ryzen 5 5600 with a RX 6700xt would suffice since it makes an insane midtier gaming PC from what I can gather, but I see a lot of people complaining about RX 6000 driver issues.

The Ryzen 5 5600 is a hexacore Simultaneous Multithreaded CPU thus making it a logically 12 threaded CPU and I think it runs around 4GHZ, so something like a H100i liquid cooler would be recommended.

I am not to familiar with the motherboards, but newer MSI B450 motherboards are probably compatible. One can just check on their websites.

RickyO,

if I was you I will stay away from B400 series since they are few years old now and some of them don’t have USB type C headers. I will stay with B550 or X570 boards the new ones don’t even need a BIOS update for your Zen 3 CPU (5000 series). Listening to what do you use your computers I will highly recommend you go AMD. Any B550 and X570 board is recommended and they can go from $120 to $400 depending of the features on the board. 
I’m running a B550M Pro4 ($120 on Amazon last year) a Ryzen 7 5800X (8 cores 16 treats) more than enough for ray tracing and do heavy loads of video editing and a modest Sapphire 5600XT 2 DP and 2 HDMI 2. 1 I believe. I have more than enough for any task I can throw at it. Please let me know if this helps. 
Best Regards,

Carlos Cervantes

Thank you; that helps.

cervantes
Adept I

RickyO,

what do you mean your previous AMD processors don’t qualified. Unless you have first gen AMD they definitely not in the Microsoft Win11 list. But if you want to update up to 5000 series you will need also a motherboard that supports that series.

I thought the same way hung about my computer and I was looking for a dedicated TPM module. If you give me your AMD series I may be able to help to activate your TPM and be able to update to Win11 if needed. 

Best Regards,

Carlos Cervantes

Yes, I forgot to mention TPM.  Would prefer to have it on the motherboard.

Currently using an AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-core (12 cpus, ~3.2Ghz).  That's what 5 years will do to you when it keeps working without costing down time.  It's on a gigabyte AX370 w/ F4 bios; 32Gb RAM DirectX 12.

RickyO,

Your equipment while functional it started to show its age. lots of the DYI motherboards don't have a discreate TPM, I have seen some high end motherboards with all the bells and whistles but not DTPM, but if you prefer to go with a physical module TPM I still recommend you a B550 or X570 board but the trick will be find a comparable TPM module for your new motherboard, in addition keep in mind since the announcement about Win11 scalpers clear out the shelves of TPM modules, they used to be from $15 to $22 USD now you cant even find them and if you find them make sure they are compatible not just with your motherboard manufacturer but your motherboard model too. 

MB. Either ASUS or Asrock have great expandability

CPU. AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-cores 12 treats will be great for you.

RAM. 2 Dims of crucial RAM DDR4 16GB @2666MHZ,that will run you around $160 nothing fancy just plane old RAM

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-16GB-Desktop-Memory-CT16G4DFRA266/dp/B08C51FMP6/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3U1WW...

Best Regards,

Carlos

0 Likes

It may help to know what hardware specs OP currently has.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

I’m currently running Microsoft Windows 11 Pro on a Ryzen 5 5800X, 16GB DDR4 3800MHZ, m.2 PNY NVME 1TB up to 3500 seq reads (pcie 4), one 500Mb NVME n.2 (pcie 3) and two hard drives 4TB Each and a Radeon Sapphire RX 5600XT. Not a lot but I can do pretty much everything I need on it  the card can hold up to 4 monitors  

64BC3D42-2F99-46C8-9A8A-AFC48C2B5FD0.jpeg

Thank you.  Need some time to digest that.