cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

douteiful
Journeyman III

Random freezes on B450 Pro4 + Ryzen 2600

Hi everyone. I just built a new rig 2 weeks ago. First I installed Win7 and I got random BSDs on pci.sys every 2-3 days.
So I installed Win10 and the same issue persisted but now it hard freezes completely instead of BSODing, so I'm assuming it's a hardware issue.
It only happens on light use (ie web browsing). While gaming it's stable. I tried disabling Global C-States in BIOS but the issue persisted.
I've never had an issue like this. I heard freezing with Ryzen was a power issue on Linux, not Windows.
I also heard the B350M Pro4 had freezing issues, could this also be the case with the B450 Pro4?
Could you help me spot the problem, or how to reproduce it? Here are the parts.

Newly bought:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (no OC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4 (BIOS 3.20)
RAM: 2 x Ballistix Sport LT Red 8GB DDR4-3200 (BLS8G4D32AESEK) with XMP profile
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti XC
Chassis: NZXT H500

From old build (~7 years old working flawlessly):
SSD/HDD: Crucial SSD MX100 128GB + 2 WD Blue + 1 WD Green
PSU: Antec HCG-620M 620W Bronze

HWMonitor report: https://pastebin.com/GH7wrLeY

Thanks.

0 Likes
12 Replies

According to your Motherboard's QVL List for Pinnacle Ridge Processor RAM MEMORY, Your Crucial is not list. : ASRock > B450 Pro4

I would do a Clear CMOS on your motherboard to put your BIOS/UEFI back to factory default with no OCing and see if the freezes stop or lessens.

Since your Ram Memory is not listed doesn't mean it isn't compatible. It just means that ASRock either didn't test that specific RAM MEMORY yet or found it incompatible.

Try using only one RAM MEMORY module after resetting your BIOS/UEFI if the freezing continues. Sometimes with two RAM Sticks installed it isn't compatible and causes issues.

EDIT: When you updated to BIOS version 3.20 did you FIRST UPDATE the Motherboard's CHIP Set drivers as per the yellow important note?

0 Likes

Thank you, I really appreciate your help. Yes, as far as I know the RAM sticks I own (BLS8G4D32AESEK) are just the red version of BLS8G4D32AESBK, which is gray. So they *should* be identical. It also appears as compatible with the motheboard in Crucial's website, although I don't know how reliable their lists are. Nonetheless, I will try running at stock (XMP disabled) and report back.

I also got a friend to lend me his newer power supply, I'll test it starting this weekend.

Regarding the BIOS, I didn't update it. It came pre-flashed with 3.20, I assuming to support the 3000 series (packaging said Ryzen 3000 ready). This also makes me think it must've been manufactured fairly recently. Should I try flashing 3.50?

Thanks again.

EDIT: Got a confirmation from Crucial:

firefox_yHC2WeneAY.png

0 Likes

No, no need to flash your BIOS since the newer BIOS/UEFI seems to be mainly for the 3rd generation processors. I would do that as the last thing before RMAing any hardware like the motherboard or processor.

Best to set the BIOS/UEFI to factory default. Either through BIOS/UEFI itself or by doing a Clear CMOS (Removing battery procedure). Then try and see if the freezes stops or lessens.

If it doesn't, remove all RAM modules EXCEPT one and see if the freezes stops. If it doesn't then install the rest of the RAM memory again.

Then try running Windows in a CLEAN Windows Desktop. This is something similar to running the computer in Safe Mode. Here is how to do that: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows 

After rebooting into a Clean Desktop see if your computer freezes or not. If it DOESN"T then start enabling 50% of the 3rd party programs again and see if it starts freezing. This is to determine if a 3rd party program or driver is at fault.

But do the BIOS/UEFI and RAM tips first.  The BIOS/UEFI procedure is to eliminate any settings that you may have made that may be causing the problem. The RAM procedure is to eliminate the RAM being incompatible with 2 or more installed and to check the motherboard DIMM slots at the same time.

Also open a AMD WARRANTY REQUEST just to get their opinion whether they believe the processor should be RMAed or not under Warranty by your symptoms.

0 Likes

Hi, just wanted to ask for your opinion since I got another freeze after a week and it left a minidump (apparently it BSOD'd but it didn't appear on-screen), would like to know if you could take a look at it. The weird thing is that:

1. I was talking with someone on Discord and when it froze froze, I could still talk over voice. Does that mean it was only a visual freeze unrelated to the CPU?
2. It happened after I had reseated all the cables in my PC. Another freeze also happened when I did that. Maybe some cable is bad?

Is it possible to see from the minidump what is causing it? Sorry for the trouble and thanks again.

Minidump: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12gqE2x-pT_y4OquILfDhXK9mJjISoNSX/view

0 Likes

Your Mini-Dump shows the Windows driver "WATCHDOG.sys" crashed windows "NTOSKRNL.exe" with a error code 0x113.

This Microsoft Support explanation for BSOD Error 0x113:

This tech site has a good explanation troubleshooting tips about what causes error 0x113: How To Fix VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR Blue Screen Errors (0x00000113) 

This tech site suggest it may be Graphic Driver or defective hardware: https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/135982-random-video-dxgkrnl-fatal-error-bsods.html 

I would download the latest Nvidia Graphic driver or post your question at Nvidia Forums.

Good luck and Take care.

0 Likes

I see, I'll look there, thanks a lot.

0 Likes
ergomix
Journeyman III

I only had bsod on idle with my b450 tomahawk non-max and ryzen 3600. I RMA'd the mobo and cpu and they replaced the cpu. Everything works fine now with default settings. I advice you do the same. Good luck!

0 Likes

Thanks. I installed the B450 chipset drivers 4 days ago and I haven't gotten a freeze yet but it's still too early to know. What kind of BSODs did you get, and on what OS? Did you ever find a way to reproduce it quicker or to recognize the issue and how often did it happen?

0 Likes

I got BSODs in Windows 10 during clean install, updates and idle (eg. only browser open). Here are some codes I got:

KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
KERNEL AUTO BOOST LOCK AQUISITION WITH RAISE IRQL
DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

0 Likes

Did you get the BSOD while installing Windows 10 or afterwards?

If you got the BSOD after installing Window 10 (Clean) and without adding any 3rd party software except motherboard Drivers and GPU driver, seems to indicate a hardware issue.

Since you installed Windows 10 cleanly and started having BSOD's before installing any other programs indicates a defective hardware. Because a newly clean Windows install shouldn't cause BSODs in a computer since no 3rd party programs were installed.

According to this tech site - Fix: BSOD Caused by 'Kernel Auto Boost Lock Acquisition With Raised IRQL'  concerning BSOD error is caused "There are two possible causes for this error, one is your Bluetooth device and other is your wireless adapter" 

This tech site shows what cause DPC Watchdog BSOD and how to fix it: https://whatsabyte.com/windows/dpc-watchdog-violation/ 

It also involves Hardware issues.

0 Likes
zalrak
Journeyman III

tjohn‌ Hi I was experiencing the exact same freezing behavior as douteiful‌ however mine only happened during gaming. I could play for around 30 minutes and then the game would either crash or the whole pc just freeze up and needing a restart. The crashes happened by random and during no hard load. Path of Exile would just crash on me when I was standing still in the city. I also thought it was a graphics card issue, until I saw how many people are having the same issue as us. We alle have Ryzen 2600 in common, so concluded that the CPU is the actual culprit in most cases. I then did two things. I installed AMD Chipset Drivers and flashed my motherboard with the newest BIOS. Afterwards I noticed that my 2600 in general have moved from 15-20% load when my pc is idle, to jumping between 15-40% load. I then had Path of Exile open for more than 16 hours and I have not experienced crashing or freezing for two days now in any game. I believe that the actual fix was installing the AMD Chipset Drivers.

Hope this also helps you!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (no OC)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING (BIOS v4207 --> v5406)
RAM: 2 x Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz C16 (CMK32GX4M2B3200C16)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
Chassis: Phanteks EVOLV X

0 Likes
accure
Journeyman III

just want to say i have freeze problems, bsod every minutes with my new Ryzen setup and it all fixed with latest Windows 10 by downloading directly from Microsoft and install via uefi USB . ( I used to install old version of windows 10 and update it later)

My gear is

Ryzen 7 3700x

Gigabyte B450M s2H

Hyperx 32GB 3200

PSU 6000w

GT430 MSI

Hope it helps.

0 Likes