cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

naman_4130
Adept I

Random clock speed ceilings on Ryzen 3700x

Hey, I've been using Ryzen 3700x for 7-8 months now and initially, things were fine until I noticed this issue where the processor would just operate at random max speeds for eg: only .50 ghz and below or sometimes only 2.1 ghz and below, but it doesn't go above the given number. I can usually see in the task manager (and I know i can use ryzen master to keep an eye on the clock speeds as well), but the thing that usually makes this issue noticeable is the lag in windows animations or general sluggishness. This has been happening for about a month and usually restarting fixes the issue, however, out of the 10 times I'd restart the PC this issue comes up at least 2-3 times. The CPU is running with every setting at stock. The motherboard and chipset drivers are updated. I tried running prime 95 when the CPU clock speed isnt going above a given number but even that doesn't seem to take the processor speed past that number i.e 2.1 ghz in one of such instances. Can someone just let me know what is going on here? or is anyone facing the same issues?

I am including a screenshot of ryzen master (the screenshot was clicked when there wasnt a problem with clock speeds)

I'll try to get a RM screenshot when am actually having the problem. 

Specs: 

Ryzen 3700X

RTX 2070 SUPER

32GB (16x2) RAM (AXMP @3200mhz)

MSI X570 gaming pro carbon wifi motherboard
Gigabyte B700H 700W PSURM 1.png

0 Likes
6 Replies

To be clear, you are saying that instead of normal idle behavior

And normal fully loaded behavior

Occasionally it will show the CCXs operating at below, in your case, 4400mhz, and the core speeds will not exceed some lower speed, such as 2100mhz, even under a full load?

Yes, it restricts itself to lower clock speeds and doesn't go above it even in a demanding workload, I actually managed to get a screenshot of RM when the processor was facing this issue, the computer was painfully slow during this time. 

You can see here the processor doesn't want to go above 553 mhz for some reason, and again, restarting usually fixes this but I have had the issue come up on consecutive restarts sometimes. 

RM SS during issue.png

0 Likes

Happens with the latest BIOS update?

0 Likes

Yup, it does. 

0 Likes

I am curious how you are getting good idle behavior and a 4.3 GHz all-core boost at the same time?  I want my setup to be like that!  I have mine setup so that I get 4.4 GHz on single cores (rarely of course), but my all-core load is just over 3.8 GHz.  I am still learning since I came from an FX-8350 and to put it mildly, these are totally different beasts!

QB

0 Likes

43x100 in BIOS, power plan 1-100%, just works!

0 Likes