cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Gp
Journeyman III

ram

I HAVE RYZEN 5 3500U how do i unlock the full 8gb of ram potential?

0 Likes
2 Solutions

I guess you have a laptop and Windows is not showing the full 8GB of RAM installed. A portion is "Reserved Memory" correct?

The Reserved Memory allocation is for your APU Integrated Graphics which uses your System RAM.

In some Laptops you can increase or decrease the amount allocated RAM Memory in BIOS to the Integrated Graphics but if your BIOS doesn't have that option then you are stuck with whatever amount the Laptop manufacturer allocated for the Integrated Graphics.

View solution in original post

@Gp make sure you are using 64-bit operating system (OS).
Like Windows 10, 64 bit for example.

The 32 bit version would limit your RAM to around 4 GB.

If you are already using 64 bit OS, then you should indeed check your BIOS settings
and see if there is any RAM used for other things, like integrated/shared GPU memory.

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I guess you have a laptop and Windows is not showing the full 8GB of RAM installed. A portion is "Reserved Memory" correct?

The Reserved Memory allocation is for your APU Integrated Graphics which uses your System RAM.

In some Laptops you can increase or decrease the amount allocated RAM Memory in BIOS to the Integrated Graphics but if your BIOS doesn't have that option then you are stuck with whatever amount the Laptop manufacturer allocated for the Integrated Graphics.

@Gp make sure you are using 64-bit operating system (OS).
Like Windows 10, 64 bit for example.

The 32 bit version would limit your RAM to around 4 GB.

If you are already using 64 bit OS, then you should indeed check your BIOS settings
and see if there is any RAM used for other things, like integrated/shared GPU memory.

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]