cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Rychlas
Journeyman III

R9 7950X Issues, high idle power draw, disabled ECO mode in Ryzen Master

Greetings, for the first time in my life I could affort a high-end PC and I have bought myself 7950X, 7900 XTX, ASRock X670E Pro RS, Kingston Fury Beast RGB 64GB [2x32GB 5600MHz DDR5 CL40 DIMM], Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2. 

The idle power draw is around 50W, Eco Mode is DISABLED (it doesn't show up) in Ryzen Master even if I enable PBO in BIOS. 
When I tried through PBO in BIOS to change the values for the suggested ones to achieve 65W Eco Mode equivalent (65 W = 88,000 PPT, 75,000 TDC, and 150,000 EDC)  the PC behaved as if it was going to die on me, even the mouse cursor was lagging. 

What can I do to lower the idle power draw? Are there any driver updates or whatever that can fix this?

I bought the flagship CPU and GPU from AMD. I already refunded the 7900XTX because it was loud, had 110'C (!!) junction temp and had 110 W (!?!?) Idle power draw. I can't even describe how disappointed I was that I had to return it. At this point I think I will give up and I will never buy anything from AMD ever again unless they at least solve these issues with the CPU. 

I'm a pure casual, can anyone tell me whether AMD has officially said anything about the R9 7950X idle power draw - why is it 4-5x higher than it should be? Is there anything I can do? Why isn't the ECO mode working? I kindly ask somebody for help. I don't know how to solve it myself and I feel scammed. 

0 Likes
6 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

Rychlas, this is a user forum and we see AMD employees very seldom. Contact AMD Support here. I know only a little about graphic processors but I think 110C is fairly typical. It seems a little late to assess your graphic problem. But please in the future post a screenshot to show the reported problem. The numbers above you show (88,000 PPT, 75,000 TDC, and 150,000 EDC) look like limits for throttling. These are set by your MB vendor and are absurd. If you are throttling because of one of these I recommend you put in some reasonable not ridiculous numbers that represent no limit at all. Google says Ryzen Master (RM) has ECO mode on the Basic view (on left side of RM Advanced mode) for 7000 processors. I would think PBO would an either/or choice with ECO, so leave PBO Disabled. If you have performance concerns, please let us know and I will suggest a test to run and screenshots to post. BTW:"Default TDP 170W". Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

This was a really long non-answer to what I was asking for, but thanks, I guess? I'm asking the community for help because AMD support is most likely going to brush it off as "normal power draw", which it definitely isn't, compared to all their other products and of their competitors. 

To summarize it so it's easier to understand - the issue is: 
A) The CPU draws 4-5x as much power as it should when idle. Does anyone know a viable solution? Did AMD state officially anything about it?
B) Eco Mode doesn't appear in Ryzen Master, no matter the settings in BIOS (PBO enabled/disabled). Some tutorials noted that PBO has to be enabled in BIOS or else it won't appear, but that didn't help me. Anyone knows what other conditions have to be met in order for ECO MODE to appear in Ryzen Master?

The GPU AMD released (7900 xtx) is a bogus product, an unpolished failure, so I just returned it. There is no justification for 100+/-10W idle power draw and 110'C junction temp power throttling in a 1300 Euro GPU.  I don't care for the "Oh, it's normal/it's just drivers issues". No it isn't, it's an AMD's fans copium and I did not pay 1300 Euro for a gpu to be expected as a customer to troubleshoot it and fix it in AMD's stead. Freesync didn't work, games crashed on top of that - a disappointment at best, a scam most likely though. I didn't buy a flagship GPU for this kind of experience, so I gave up.

0 Likes

Thanks, Rychlas. Please post the screenshots I ask for and look at this:

ECOmode.png

I would suggest you return all settings to default. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Rychlas_0-1674308009380.png

Here is the screenshot. As you can see, my "Eco Mode" is missing. Taken with default settings. The mode is missing no matter what PBO option is set in the BIOS

Rychlas_3-1674308119350.png

And here is the idle power draw. It's really high. 

0 Likes

Thanks, Rychlas. I need to see the Advanced view of RM to try to help. Here is what my old 3970X looks like:

RM3970X.png

My total CPU power is around 14 Watts and most of my 32 cores are asleep. After you post the RM screenshot, please do a Clear CMOS using the MB manual instructions and see if that helps. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
su-k
Adept I

2CCD CPU idling 40W is normal range. (1CCD is 30W)
PBO power settings (including ECO mode) control peak power and temperature.
For idling or small jobs it doesn't make sense.
If you want more control, you'll need to switch power plans.
Use third-party power plans when the standard Windows power plans are not sufficient.
Since the SOC(I/O) power consumes 20W, I don't think it will drop that much.

Ryzen Power Plan Comparison (Ryzen 5 3500, Win11, 2023-0123, Game workload / FF15 bench)

00:00:04 [Win11] Balanced

00:06:54 [RCPP] Low Power (by Yuuki)

# Under Voltage -0.3v + Custom Power Plan (Ryzen 9 5900X)

[RCPP] Ryzen idle Low clock test 800MHz 0.65v Under Voltage Vcore Offset -0.3v (Umamusume 20220621)

0 Likes