cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

wim-bart
Elite

R9 5950X shuttering/freezing Windows 11 during gameplay

Since long time I have some time for gaming again. So I started to play one of  my favoriete FPS game again (BO Cold War).

now I have issues with game shutters which always happen at the wrong time. Because it is a fast paced game, a freeze can be an instant dead in the game. Not nice to mess up my game KD ratio.

So I found a solution by upgrading my Firmware/BIOS. But now my Overclock does not work anymore and my EDC seems to be fixed causing overal game performance to drop. Because it is a 5950X the OC is important to have certain cores boost.

So I did do a flash back of old firmware and the shutters are back. How do I solve this? How can I adjust the EDC on my BIOS to actual work again and I am not limited by 100%. 

System basics:

•  AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Gigabyte Gaming 5900XT OC
  • Asus Prime X570 PRO
  • Samsung 860 PRO SSD
  • 32GB Corsair (2x16) @3800 CL18
  • Corsair RM850 2021

0 Likes
1 Solution

Thanks, wim-bart. I always ask users to stay out of BIOS while I am attempting to help. I suspect there is a conflict between BIOS and RM and I have an AMD support ticket open. Notice in my SSs I set PBO active and did in a Profile to keep from having the changes in Home screen. Please leave your BIOS at the latest and let's see if we can get that to work. I do not think the latest is going wrong, I think the old one had numerous problems. Please try this and when/if we get this cornered, then do as you please. Thanks and enjoy, John.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

wim-bart, here is how you change the limits in Ryzen Master (RM):

PBO.png

I encourage you to be conservative! The limits will open with really large values and only allow you to lower them from there. I suggest to lower them to just a little above your default values and test seeing how it goes. Please post screenshots of RM both Basic and Advanced views running Cinebench. Please only images of RM and do not cut off any. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I always set them in BIOS and not in Ryzen Master. I friend both BIOS and Ryzen master but when I set EDC to my wanted value of 160, it shows only 140 in HWINFO64. 

When I downgrade my BIOS I can set it to 160, increasing my core boost. But with latest BIOS it all goes wrong.

0 Likes

Thanks, wim-bart. I always ask users to stay out of BIOS while I am attempting to help. I suspect there is a conflict between BIOS and RM and I have an AMD support ticket open. Notice in my SSs I set PBO active and did in a Profile to keep from having the changes in Home screen. Please leave your BIOS at the latest and let's see if we can get that to work. I do not think the latest is going wrong, I think the old one had numerous problems. Please try this and when/if we get this cornered, then do as you please. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

There was a funny thing happening. From the BIOS (ASUS) there are two options to OC (or I like to call it optimize).

Option 1: from the main options screen configure it under PBO and then manual set things. 
Option 2: from the AMD overclocking menu, in the advanced screen.

in the old situation either one was sufficient to use. But now it looks like only the Overclock menu way works. Difference is that from that screen you first have to “Accept” the OC warranty void message.

0 Likes

Thanks, wim-bart. I have said before and will continue to tell users to stay out of BIOS until AMD corrects the conflicts between it and Ryzen Master (RM). Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I prefer BIOS over software because I have the feeling I have more control over it. BIOS is straight forward mostly, and that is a pre. Like setting fan curves and other things, BIOS works great. And no need for extra software mostly. 
But I give Ryzen master a go next week, because I am curious if it can beat my manual Core settings

0 Likes