cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

derridada
Adept II

R9 3900X random crashes & reboots, Kernel-Power event-ID 41, no BSOD, no dump files

(note: Apologies: I see that the same message was posted twice (revised in this post), but I'm unable to delete or even edit the original post for some reason)

I first reported my issue in Aug 16, 2019

My configuration:

• R9 3900X on Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI) with latest chipset driver 2.10.13.408, and latest BIOS: 3003, dated 2020/12/07. All onboard devices (LAN, Bluetooth, etc.) are all running the latest drivers from the Asus support page.
  • GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080 O8G-GAMING. On latest Nvidia driver 460.89
  • RAM: 4 x G.Skill 3600C16-8GTZNC (Neo) DDR4-3600 XMP-3602 profile CL16-19-19-39 at 1.35V
  • PSU: Corsair AX850 Titanium
  • Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB in push-pull, top-mounted.
  • Case: NZXT H700
  • Displays: (1) Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD (2) Dell U2515H
  • OS Drive: Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB
  • Windows 10 Pro, 20H2 OS build 19042.685.

After RMA-ing every component in my system, and after running problem-free after a year and a half after my initial report of the issue, the same/similar issue has started again: random shutdowns and reboots like in the summer of 2019. 

I initially believed the culprit was a faulty PSU (which went through RMA, and was deemed faulty by Seasonic), but now I’m not so sure that was even the problem to begin with.

The only difference with 2019 is that now I do not get the WHEA-Logger ID 18 error. The Event viewer only provides the generic “Kernel-Power, event-ID 41, Task 63, Keywords 0x8000400000000002: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.” There are no minidump files, BugcheckCode = 0; there’s really nothing diagnostic to go on.

It can happen when the system is idling, it has happened while gaming, it’s happened while working. It’s completely unpredictable. Since I’m working from home and my PC is my livelihood, I’m exasperated.   

The system runs in Ryzen balanced power mode. There’s no overclock; all BIOS settings are optimized defaults, except for RAM timings (G.Skill pre-set profile 1) and fan curves.

I’ve changed out the RAM, disabled XMP, rolled back BIOS, flashed BIOS, tested every available BIOS from Asus, rolled back chipset drivers, etc. I’ve reinstalled Windows 10 a number of times. I put in an older GTX 1050Ti with the same results. I’m now on a fresh install (installed on 2021-‎01-‎05) of Win 10 Pro 20H2.

I’ve also replaced/RMA-ed the following:

• RMA of AMD R9 3900X
  • RMA of Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI)
  • RMA of original PSU Seasonic SSR-1000TR, replaced with Corsair AX850 Titanium.
  • Replaced RAM from CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB with G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (4 x 8 GB)

I also recently switched cooling from the NZXT Kraken X72 (after TWO (2) RMAs!!), to the EK-AIO Elite 360. I contacted EKWB for them to check some of my temps, and they noticed some anomalies:

“I do see some weird voltage to your CPU, but I am not sure how is that possible as it looks like your core voltage is boosting over 1.475 Volts … I think you have the same problem as JayzTwoCents encountered in his review of 3900x where motherboard BIOS/Uefi settings are set way too high as it was the first BIOS version. … Your temperatures are actually ok for the massive Voltage that is applied to it. But I would still over them as it affects the longevity of the CPU. But the CPU is still young and we do not have data on the Ryzen degradation with time, but based on the older CPUs, high Voltage degrades the CPU and will start to boost lower and lower with time. And it affects the stability of the system overall if it is too high.”

I can’t believe that the newest Asus BIOS would still allow for this kind of core voltage? Or is this the CPU literally overpowering the motherboard? 

I’m writing this while running in “power saver” mode, with voltages not going over 1.0V. It’s been running stable for 2 days. But since the restarts are so erratic, they might start here too. Plus running ‘power saver’ defeats the purpose of this CPU.

I have already started the process of RMA for the CPU and motherboard.

However, I am really concerned about the situation after receiving the new CPU and motherboard. What if these units will also eventually have the same issues as my current RMA units? What if this happens after the 3-year warranty period? I just have to buy the newer model?

This is my first AMD build, and the least I expect is it to run stable. The CPU/mobo clearly does not function 'out of the box' when installed correctly and with the most up-to-date chipset drivers and BIOS.

It seems to me that this might be a manufacturing issue; would all this not be grounds for a product recall, if it’s so widespread? Though I imagine that will only happen when systems start to catch fire… But still, is this not a consumer advocacy issue?

RMA-ing the same components over and over again is not a solution.

Any input would be appreciated.

0 Likes
17 Replies