cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

derridada
Adept II

Re: R9 3900X random crashes & reboots, Kernel-Power event-ID 41, no BSOD, no dump files

To illustrate, this is an image tech support from EKWB (on a different issue) sent back to me, underlining some voltages they thought were abnormal, considering my clock speeds are all running as expected.

highlighted by EKWB support as anomalieshighlighted by EKWB support as anomalies

0 Likes
benman2785
Big Boss

Re: R9 3900X random crashes & reboots, Kernel-Power event-ID 41, no BSOD, no dump files

those are totally normal voltages when you run your Ryzen "stock" - as it pumps voltage to raise clocks for LOW LOAD!

if you have same voltages at full-load (allcore AVX etc) then you have a problem - and will damage your CPU...

PC: R7 2700X @4.1GHz + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
xlox
Miniboss

if your running ram @3600 try 3200  ... depending on bios had problems like that ... you won't feel the difference anyway .. if you know it's a ram setting problem you can always tweak later then ...

try beginning with 3200 and stay like that until you're sure it's ok or not

if you don't know timings for 3200 use dram ryzen calculator

first 6 numbers (like 14 14 14 14 28 42 but less aggressive something beginning with 16) , then tfaw , and trfc and trfc2 , that should do it, the rest on auto

i have 2x4400 stick that runs @4400 (but only for let's say 1 day then computer begins to act weird

and another 2x4400 stick that don't hold 4400 on my cpu (ram controller depending on cpu ?)

4x4400 is not possible so i first configured them at 4x3600 , until one day i got the same problems as you after some bios updates (guessing)

i searched a lot and finally came to conclusion that the only REAL stable frequency is 3200 24/24h without tweaking voltages

and did not tried higher as benchmarks didn't show me any differences , even sometime better with lower frequencies but higher timings ... so now i run my 4x4400 at 3200 CL 14 without any tweaking because i prefer when my pc is perfectly stable and smooth instead of try to gain nothing with ram, and next time i buy ram , i won't give more than  100 euro  for 16gb anymore lol

0 Likes
derridada
Adept II

@xlox 

A late reply, but: I'm running G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600MHz (4 x 8GB); I usually just set it to the preset on the motherboard, at 3600 with the timings pre-set in the profile. However, even when disabling the OC profile and setting everything to default 2133, the system still shuts down and reboots randomly.

I had a set of Corsair Vengeance LPX before this, and those were unstable, also at non-OC; but at least I could diagnose the issue fairly easy by event codes in the logger; it was quite obvious the RAM was the issue. All I have now to go on is event-ID 41, without minidump files, no diagnostic info whatsoever.

Anyhow, both Asus and AMD requested I sent back the board and CPU; I just received a replacement motherboard, still waiting on the CPU. 

But I'll keep your comments in mind if the same issue were to crop up again (fingers crossed it does not!). I've never worked with dram ryzen calculator though, so it might be a bit of a learning curve for me. 

derridada
Adept II

@benman2785 

That's the thing though: support at ASUS and EKWB tell me these are abnormal. Getting conflicting assessments of identical values just makes things more difficult. On the other hand, I've seen screenshots with similar voltages as mine in other threads with AMD commenting they are completely within range, so I've no reason to believe they would actually be abnormal.

The main issue is the lack of diagnostic info to go on. All I get is "event-ID 41", without any minidump files, or other clues.

For my previous RMA I did get WHEA-Logger 18 errors, but now I'm not getting these either. 

0 Likes