Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

partydaz
Journeyman III

R7 3700X CPU cores not sleeping when Win 10 is idle

Hello 

Little question for you folks,

The cores on my R7 3700X CPU are not going too sleep when Win 10 is idle.

Now this only happens when I exit a game, only way to fix it is a reboot of windows then the cores sleep & idles 0.9V, i have left the machine on most of the day with steam running downloading games etc and when i close steam down and leave it to idle the cores go to sleep, so only exit a game seems to start the fault

AMD Ryzen Master used to monitor CPU.

Voltage jumps around 1.16v -1.2v @ 1.2Mhz. Sometimes after i exit a game it will clock higher at around 3Mhz+ @ 1.4V seems intermittent the clock rate and voltage but always the same outcome after i exit a game cores don't sleep at idle & the Single core boost never gets to 4.4Mhz until i restart.

I can make the CPU cores start to sleep if I select windows power saver plan the voltage drops to 0.9v & cores start to sleep. The Ryzen balance power plan is the default plan i use.

I only started to notice this a few days ago after Battlefield 5 CTD with the No output black screen bug but i have fixed battlefield 5 now no more CTD. After CTD Cores were stuck at 1.4v @ 3mhz+ until reboot.

Is this normal for these chips our are the power plans buggy?. I know they had problems on release with voltage and temps but i can not seem to find anything on my problem, if it even is a problem i might be seeing faults that are not there because its my new baby 

Reinstalled AMD Chip-set drivers see if it fixes the power plans, nope 

Voltage while gaming is fine all core boost 4Mhz @1.27V , Single Core boost is 4.394 @1.45V

Temps idle 32 degrees / room temp 20 degrees

Benchmark temps 63 degrees

Win 10 Stable for hrs on end and gaming no errors apart from the battlefield 5 CTD once 

Fresh build 4 weeks ago

All the drivers up to date + win 10

MOBO settings left on default & XMP only thing i changed / turned on when pc was built.

R7 3700x

MSI MPG x570 gaming edge WIFI

Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black 16gig, 3,600Mhz

Sapphire 5700xt nirto+ 

corsair RM 650w psu

Thanks for reading & any info would be grateful 

0 Likes
5 Replies

When you see that the Processor doesn't go to idle when you close a program or game, open Task Manager and see what Processes are running.  If the game you closed is still open in Task Manager than it didn't shut down completely. You can use "End Task" to stop the game from running in Task Manager.

Then you need to find out why the game(s) or programs aren't shutting down properly.

Sometimes when I have a program I can't shut down, I just  "Sign Off" or log back into Windows (Ctrl+Alt+del) without having to do a hard reboot.

If you have done this already then sorry I mentioned something you have tried already.

0 Likes

Thanks for tips   I have already checked task manager but i have noticed you can monitor what processes are using CPU in real time, next time the fault pops up I shall try and see if anything is pushing my CPU at idle & report back.

0 Likes
jigzaw
Elite

Hi. I also have a Ryzen 3700x and came from a 1700X. What i have experienced and learned is that any of the Ryzen Power plans will prevent the sleep feature from working. The default windows qo0 Balanced works with out issues. I have created my own power plan with Minimum processor state at 42% and Maximum processor state at 100%. It just works.

0 Likes

From what i have read Ryzen power plans make full use of the CPU when it needs it, using a windows power plan can limit the CPU at boost speeds etc. Have you found any negative effects from using the windows balanced power plan or your own? 

0 Likes

Apologies for the late reply. The Windows Balanced Power sometimes cause my machine failing to wake up after a series of sleep and wake cycles during the day. That the reason why I created my own.

0 Likes