Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jobi
Journeyman III

r7 1700 build - Errors with Prime95 and softwarecrashes

Hello

I habe a problem with my new pc.

About 2 weeks ago i assembled my new pc. (specs at the end)

Everything seems to work fine, except the ecc corrections seems to be not working. But maybe that is not relevant in that problem?

4 days ago windows got stuck (freeze). I thought it might be a temporary Windows (10) problem. But then Firefox and Thunderbird crashed.

There were some Windows events: Critical Process died, attempted write to readonly memory, IRQL not less or equal.

I started prime95 and it also reported some errors

-> Fatal error: roundin was 0.5, expedted less than 0.4

I thought i got a faulty ram. But then i tested it with memtest86+ and everything worked fine. (except the missing Chipset and Memory information - 'unknown')

My current configuration:

- AMD Ryzen 7 1700

- Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K5
  newest bios, everything at default except SMT enabled

- 2x Kingston ValueRAM DIMM 16GB, DDR4-2400, CL17-17-17-32, ECC

- be quiet! Pure Power 10-CM 500W ATX 2.4

- Samsung SSD 850 EVO

- some old ATI 5850

- Win 10 Pro

What could be the problem with my current pc?

The ram does not seem to be the problem.

Maybe the RAM?

It should run with 17-17-17-32 but cpu-z is showing 17-17-17-39? That is even a slower timing. And why then it crashes?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: r7 1700 build - Errors with Prime95 and softwarecrashes

Have you updated your bios to the latest revision? That can often help stability.

0 Kudos
rebelyell
Exemplar

these new ryzen boards do not run ecc memory correctly. with that being said, ryzen will run ecc memory just fine. problem is the motherboard manufacturers.

rebelyell
Exemplar

ok , here is a link to help out.. my 1st post was a little blunt sorry. check this out..

Memory OC Showdown: Frequency vs. Memory Timings

jobi
Journeyman III

yes, i updated to the latest version

0 Kudos
jobi
Journeyman III

i was in contact with gigabyte and they told me that they support ecc. which was the main reason that i bought this board.

their laboratory also told me that there might be a problem with those tools and i should try another ram. they only checked ecc with some hardware devices, they told me.

0 Kudos
jobi
Journeyman III

Summary about those crashed:

I tried another ram - no problems there. Switched back to the old one and everything seems to work fine (yet).

But i really do not know why those strange behaviour occured the last week. I havend changed anything.

Maybe there was a problem with the voltage because of the weather. But i am using the pc behing an UPS. But also small changes (the ups does not reported anything) should not be a problem for the PSU.

Summary about ECC:

I tried another RAM with ECC (Samsung). Same timings, software does not show ECC. Gigabyte told me that ECC should work when ECC ram is used.

They think that it might be a problem with those software (Aida, Memtest86+, ...) and their laboratory checked if ECC is working with some hardware devices.

I just started Prime95 some hours ago, everything seems to work fine at that moment. But i do not really know what the problem was. I am worrying about the currend build...

0 Kudos
rebelyell
Exemplar

i am not sure about gigabyte. i dont use it. all i know is asus hero has tons of options for ram such as scrub time anything from every hour to days. bank group swapping address line and data line ohms drive strength and all that good stuff.  thats about all i know as far as rank 2 dimms are concerned.

0 Kudos

ECC only works with ECC RAM, of which that is not. I would still be willing to be it's your RAM, ValueRAM isn't worth the silicon it took to make it.

rebelyell
Exemplar

one last thing can or did you try moving up the cpu SOC voltage to stabilize the controller?????? dont ever go over 1.2   ... i run 1.15 or 1.1875 depending what sticks i have in.