cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

roci
Journeyman III

R5 3600 + X470-F

I want to buy the r5 3600 CPU from Amazon and the x470f motherboard, is there a way I can update the bios before installing the CPU so It will work with this zen 2 processor?

0 Likes
1 Reply

Make sure the Asus Motherboard says it is ready for AMD 3rd Generation processor like below: ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING | Gaming Motherboard | ASUS USA 

From Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/ROG-Strix-X470-F-Gaming-Motherboard/dp/B07C4PH429 

In the Retail photo of the motherboard you want to purchase doesn't mention it is ready for the new AMD CPUs but in the Questions and Answers here is what one User mentioned:

Ask Amazon if the motherboard has BIOS/UEFI version 4804 or higher on it before purchasing it.

If it has that image I circled it already has the correct BIOS/UEFI version to run a 3rd generation CPU. Before purchasing inquire from Amazon if the motherboard is the latest and ready for the new AMD Processor. 

If by any chance you do receive a motherboard that is older and not capable of supporting the new AMD CPUs,

Return it back to Amazon for another newer or latest Motherboard with the correct BIOS/UEFI version installed.

you need to have a Non-3rd generation CPU to install to update the motherboard's BIOS/UEFI to the correct version.

You can open a AMD Warranty Request and ask for a AMD BOOT KIT to be sent to you to temporarily use to update the BIOS.

You can borrow an older supported CPU to install to update the BIOS or take it to a Computer shop to have it updated but that may be expensive.

Best bet is to be sure the motherboard you purchase from Amazon is made to support the new AMD Processors.

0 Likes