cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

manu_b
Adept I

R5 3600 high temperature

Update : It seems I found the reason and somewhat fixed the issue.

leaving this message here, if it might help others.

So I gave a try with the motherboard utility, instead of using the "deafult" profile, I used a "OC" profile that sets all core @ 3.8Ghz.

Now the idle temp is below 35C and the 100% load reaches 65C max (used Wprime on 12 threads and measured max temp with HWinfo and the Gigabyte utility). That seems quite reasonable.

So definitely the Gygabyte B550M-DS3H default Bios settings are wrong for the R5 3600.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello there,

I just installed a R5 3600 on a gigabyte B550M-DS3H and I'm worried about the temperature of the CPU.

I'm using the standard heatsink/fan provided with the boxed version.

It's quite stable at 40-45 @ IDLE (2-3% cpu usage), but almost immediately reaches 92-95C as soon as the load increase (80% and more).

Ambiant temp is around 25 to 30C.

I've already checked the heatsink mounting. Removed it and checked that the thermal paste was properly and evenly distributed on the cpu, that indicates the contact should be fine.

Also as soon as the load drops the temperatures decreases very quickly as well.

I re-installed the heatsink carefully and all screw are properly tight. No change.

I tried to modify the fan curve and even run it at 100% permanently. No change.

I tried to leave the case opened, does not change a bit.

I have no other compatible Heatsink to mount.

I'm a bit surprised the fan itself is not running that fast : 1923 RPM, when PWM is set at 100%, and not that noisy (I was expecting much more). Of course the Fan is attached to the proper CPU fan connector on the M/B.

I'm wondering if it's an issue with the FAN or the bios settings (I left on default non-overclocked bios profile, also updated the bios to latest version F2). Or maybe the CPU itself (but I'm doubting that as the idle temp is not that high, a bit higher that what it should be maybe, but not that much).

Also, candid question, the CPU frequency never drops below 3.6Ghz when @ IDLE, is this the expected behavior ?

I've not tried playing around with the cpu voltages settings, was considering to try lower the voltages, but I've no idea what to set to what...

Any help appreciated,

Manu.

1 Solution

Apparently it's not the case (well the tools I tried did not report such thing) for this M/B.

I installed AMD Ryzen master Utility, created and applied a profile very close to the "standard" one except forcing VCPU to 1.1V and it works pretty good, temps are reasonable and CPU is stable.

I have absolutely no idea why the bios default profile will allow (and apply) VCPU up to 1.4V+.

And Gigabyte did not answer yet.

Anyway everything is running smooth now, will set the issue as solved.

Not planning to attempt any O/C soon, but migth give it a try when I change the heatsink to something a bit more robust.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies

Absolutely make sure you have the latest chipset driver. Then make sure you have the latest bios and it is set to defaults. You can turn on PBO or XMP later if desired once you decide you are good at defaults.

If that does not help:

This is a very common complaint. One that should not have to be made. So sorry to you, that you have a CPU that the included fan is not good enough for. You have really 2 options. Exchange or RMA it for another and if you are in your initial return period with the retailer you bought it from I would return or exchange it. 

Next even when you get a CPU that runs a little cooler than what you have and stays with 95 degrees, the stock fan is just pretty weak. I have the same CPU and replaced my fan with something better immediately.

I use a cooler master 212 evo. They run about 35 bucks. My temps are in the mid 30's to mid 40's at idle and don't go over about 73 under full load. 

Just know that when you did get to a fan or new cpu you are happy with that Zen2 cpu's jump around in temp a lot. One second you may see 35 and the next 45 at idle. This is normal for these chips. 

0 Likes

The bios has been updated to the latest version even before doing any tests.

Installing all drivers (including chipset) was also one of the very first thing I did.

I tried already using the default bios setting, that was my first try in fact.

But it appears the default bios profile is really bad.

When using a "OC" profile with fixed frequency of 3.8Ghz or even 4.0 Ghz on all cores, "solves" the issue (CPU does not exceed 67C with the standard cooler, but performances might not be really optimal).

Strange thing is that with default profile, Vcore regularly reaches 1.435V and VID#0~VID#5 oscilate between 0.9V and 1.4V. 

When using the "OC" profile, the Vcode does not exceed 1.116V and VID#0~VID#5 oscilate between 1.10V and 1.13V and is much more stable.

Of course when I tried to switch back to Default profile, CPU temp again raised again well over 90C.

My next step is to find a proper profile/ settings and make it default.

I also tried to reach Gigabyte support on this issue, I cant be the only one with this issue.

And changing the heatsink was anyway planned, but I still wanted to give the standard cooler a chance, and so far it's not that bad.

Reaching out to them is a good idea. I have seen many reviews on different boards where they point out that different board makers are using different voltages etc. at defaults and not reference specs. I can't speak to what is going on with yours in that regard though. It is a good question. It is also possible you just got a lemon CPU. As I said before if you got that CPU retail and can still exchange it. That would be a quick test. 

0 Likes

This is one of the the tech sites explaining what some oems are doing that is not reference spec. It may be of interest or even help you tell if your board is not at reference specs.

From JayTwoCents:

Is your motherboard trying to damage your Ryzen CPU? - YouTube 

Apparently it's not the case (well the tools I tried did not report such thing) for this M/B.

I installed AMD Ryzen master Utility, created and applied a profile very close to the "standard" one except forcing VCPU to 1.1V and it works pretty good, temps are reasonable and CPU is stable.

I have absolutely no idea why the bios default profile will allow (and apply) VCPU up to 1.4V+.

And Gigabyte did not answer yet.

Anyway everything is running smooth now, will set the issue as solved.

Not planning to attempt any O/C soon, but migth give it a try when I change the heatsink to something a bit more robust.

0 Likes

Well the voltage being raised to high is exactly on of the things these reviews have been pointing out. So it is the case that this happened on your board as you already said. So the information is correct. 

Glad you have it working to your satisfaction. 

0 Likes

If you believe the Gigabyte specs are incorrect I would talk to them. Locking your speed for all cores on Zen2 is likely to hurt not help your performance and is not recommended. Also doing so voids your warranty. I would see if you can't get to the real root of your issue. 

0 Likes