cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

barszczu122
Adept II

R5 1500x//1600 on A320 mobo will burn my hause?

Hello Guys

I wanna upgrade my CPU from r3 1200 to 1500x 1600 R5.

I have cheap motheboard for am4 Asrock a320-DVS R3.0

So if i replace r3 1200 to r5 1600 will be work fine on this motheboard?

Ofcourse with stock speed. Maybe in some later months i buy new motheboard but i want buy something strong not crap like this and i need to keep some money For now will be ok? Asrok send message "No worries will be work perfect"

7 Replies

It comes down to if ASRock supports it with a bios update. I could not find you motherboard on the cpu support list. I would contact their support team. I would sure think that staying in the same generation and not going past an R5 would be fine but contact them to be sure. ASRock > Support Request Form 

0 Likes

If I have the correct Make & Model ASRock motherboard, it even supports 3rd generation processors. Here is the list for all the supported processors with the correct BIOS/UEFI versions needed to support it: ASRock > A320M-DVS R3.0 

Partial list of supported CPU for your motherboard:

But if you upgrade the Processor you need to find out if the RAM you have installed is also compatible with the new processor from your motherboard's QVL List for RAM.

0 Likes

beware that depending on the CPU, it can be hit and miss with lower end motherboards as to how well it works

Very true, good point. Most are only 4 layer boards. I would probably not run a second or third gen R7 on that board for instance. 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

Very true, good point. Most are only 4 layer boards. I would probably not run a second or third gen R7 on that board for instance. 

I found 4 layer boards to be poor performers generally. 6 layers boards have a lot of advantages but the cost is higher so I expect to see that with X470 and X570 but not with the lower price tiers.

This tech website mentions to go by the Motherboard's CPU Support list when upgrading the processor: https://www.delidded.com/how-to-check-if-your-motherboard-supports-a-processor/ 

Method 1 - Check if your motherboard has a CPU support list

The best way to determine if a processor is supported is to check if your motherboard manufacturer maintains a cpu support list. The cpu support list will tell which processor model numbers (and steppings) are supported by each bios version.

For example, if you have an ASUS P5K motherboard, you can find the cpu support list by searching google for: "asus p5k cpu support". This list is also usually linked to from the support/drivers page for your motherboard.

If your can't find the official cpu support list, try searching for your motherboard's model number on cpu-upgrade.com. They maintain a processor support list for many motherboards.

I would believe that ASRock has tested all those processors including 2nd & 3rd generation processors in their CPU Support list to make sure they work correctly with that specific Motherboard model. Otherwise ASRock would be doing their customers a disservice by saying a processor is supported when it isn't.

0 Likes

There are lots of reports of R7 on third gen not running even on even newer B450 boards that are only 4 layer boards. Not saying the board won't run it, just saying many of those boards will have issues with the VRMs not being able to handle anything beyond an R5 if that. Even in the first gen they strongly suggested you use a 370 board for R7 chips. I would probably do a little google searching to see if anyone had good luck with a certain processor. That is how I picked my B450 board to run my R5 3600. There are a lot of boards that claim compatibility in the B450 too but tons of complaints of instability on many boards. The OP though should be fine if they stick to an R5 of first or second gen.

0 Likes