cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

nordlys
Journeyman III

R3600 - how do I disable overclocking?

Hello, I just bought a Ryzen 3600 after 25 years of using Intel CPUs. How do I disable automatic overclocking and keep the processor locked at stock 3600 Mhz? What Ryzen Master shows could just as well be written in cuineform, can't figure out a single thing there.

I don't want Unreal Engine to fry the CPU after compiling shaders for 10 minutes at 95C temperature. Please help.

0 Likes
5 Replies
dynarush333
Adept I

Just set the core ratio manually. Then it will go into OC and stay at the core speed

0 Likes
clbc12
Adept I

I just posted about a similar problem-- temps rise to 95C in Cinebench, and still seems to be overclocking itself (even with PBO disabled, which was on by default and had to be turned off manually in my bios). It's currently running at 3.85Ghz, down from 4.2Ghz on all cores after disabling PBO. I thought it was supposed to run at 3.6Ghz on all cores, but maybe boost a little higher on the main 2 cores if it can? Instead, it's still mysteriously OCing all cores while I'm turning off every setting I can find that might make it do that. I'm actually thinking of buying an aftermarket cooler to try to save this thing and it's wild, unintentional overclocking.

Tried to call AMD support, waited on hold for a long time, finally got someone a couple of times but the call was dropped several minutes in. Gave them my number to call back, but they didn't... can someone from AMD please let me know if anyone's working on solving this? Will there be a new chipset driver that fixes it?

I could go put a bunch of research into how to manually underclock, but that seems kinda crazy... I just wanted to use my CPU out of the box at defaults and have it run at a safe temp!

0 Likes

I ended up diving into BIOS and manually setting the temperature throttle value at 85C (might lower it further maybe). Hopefully that would keep it away from going too high.

Another thing you can do is digging into Windows power plan settings and lowering maximum CPU power a little bit down from 100%. Note that it would knock performance down hard; setting it at 98% hardlocked the CPU @ 3500 MHz - no big deal BUT the CPU-Z benchmark for single core went down to under 430 from the default 500+.

Either way both options appear infinitely more convenient than over9000 arcane abbreviations like DTBGD, IDKFA and WTFLOL that Ryzen Master suggest us to play with. Hint hint, AMD: more often than not, "whatever, just don't melt beyond this temperature pls" is going to be the most requested option for automated overclocking that is enabled out of the box for everybody...

0 Likes
plastikman
Journeyman III

I'm facing the same problem(?) here and don't know how to fix it. Although I could go to BIOS and do some tinkering there, I'd rather have it stay at its base clock unless asked from it. But unlike other users here, my temps only go as far as 84C on cinebench, where CPU goes to its full potential i.e. fully overclocked and working at 100% on all cores. This is with the CPU cooler that came with it which is sat inside NZXT H500 (which doesn't have much good airflow, and sadly no goo sound insulation either) with total 3 case coolers.

Can you guys share which motherboards are you using? Maybe that's where the problem lies? 

nordlys 

clbc12‌ 

dynarush333

0 Likes

I forgot to mention, I'm using B450M MSI Mortar Titanium with all the latest drivers.

And while we are at it, would you guys also like to share your cinebench scores? The highest out of the box I could achieve was:

Cinebench R15 - 1517 (temp. from 39-76c)

Cinebench R20 - 3439 (temp. from 43-82c)

0 Likes