Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

monster182
Adept I

Questions about upgrading the memory of the Ideapad S145 Ryzen 7 3700u notebook

Hi guys, sorry for the English, I'm Brazilian and I'm using the translator

I would like to clarify a doubt, I finalized the purchase of an S145 Ryzen 7 3700-U ... I want to update a memory and add a 16 GB comb in the coming months, the (soldered) memory is 4 GB and 2400Mhz CL-17, the problem is that it is difficult to find variety and competitive price of memories with latency 17 here in my country ....

Does it matter if I add a memory in the comb with latency different from the soldered memory ???
Example: (4gb ddr4 2400 soldered on 17-latency motherboard) + 16gb ddr4 2400 hyper-x latency-14? Or the 16-latency corsair?

(4gb 2400mhz CL17 (soldered) + 16gb 2400mhz CL14 = 20gb total)
Can different latencies affect the performance or stability of the processor in the long run?

I know that the most important thing is the frequency, but I was curious ...

Another doubt, is there a possibility of a future modification (driver) to be unlocked for greater use of ddr memory for graphics (integrated) that can make better use of ddr? ????

7 Replies

Is there a separate RAM MEMORY Slot in your laptop to add more RAM MEMORY?

I highly suggest your open a Lenovo Support ticket and find out if YOU CAN UPGRADE the Ram Memory or not. If you can upgrade then ask them what RAM Memory is compatible with your Lenovo Laptop model.

Go to this Lenovo Parts Link: partslookup - IE . Input your laptop's Serial Number. There are several S145 Models. There seems to be RAM MEMORY that is compatible to upgrade your laptop.

It will show you a list of Compatible RAM MEMORY to upgrade your laptop.

As an example only!. Since I don't know your exact S145 Model here is a list of compatible RAM for the S145-15api (81UT Model) which has a Ryzen CPU: laptops and netbooks :: ideapad s series netbooks :: s145 15api :: 81ut - IE 

monster182
Adept I

elstaci, thank you very much for answering...

Well, I was more confused, because when doing this procedure and when looking in other programs, I found that the soldered memory is 2400Mhz and the memory in slot 1 is 2666Mhz and they are working in dual channel, I had no idea that this was possible.

Well, now things change a little bit, and it seems to have increased
my doubts ... here are some screens:

s45 1.jpgs45 2.jpg

s45 3.jpg

0 Likes

You can mix different RAM MEMORY frequencies together and the fastest RAM will operate at the slower RAM MEMORY Speed according to this thread: memory - Is it safe to use RAM sticks with different frequencies? - Super User 

Another tech website concerning RAM: https://medium.com/level-up-web/5-biggest-myths-about-ram-that-are-still-out-there-38cbe57ffbc4 

Also this tech article about RAM: 4 Myths and Misconceptions About RAM You Need to Stop Believing 

1. “You Can’t Mix RAM Size.”

Can you mix RAM size? Yes.

Generally, most laptops or computers come with two slots for RAM sticks, and sometimes more. And there’s a prevailing misconception that you can’t use different RAM size together, or mix RAM brands. That’s not true. Can you mix RAM size? Yes. But it might not be best for performance.

It is advisable to use RAM sticks by the same manufacturer, of the same size, and of the same frequency. But there’s a simple reason behind why mixing RAM sizes is usually not the best way. RAM has several components that all come together to make it perform well. For two different size RAM sticks to perform optimally together, they need to use the same voltage and their respective controllers should play well with each other and the motherboard. That’s why it’s best to use the same model in all slots.

However, this doesn’t mean you can’t use different size RAM sticks together. For example, if your first stick is 4GB, you can still add a new 8GB stick. Once you switch on dual channel mode (also called flex mode), it will perform as two 4GB sticks running side by side in optimal performance.

The remaining 4GB of the new stick will run in single channel mode. Overall, it’s not as fast as using two sticks of the same size, but it’s still faster than what you had before.

It’s the same with frequency or speed. Your RAM sticks will work together at the frequency of the lower stick, by default. So do RAM sticks have to match? No, but it’s better if they do.

So basically whatever RAM you install on your laptop if it is higher than the soldered RAM than it will be reduced automatically to the soldered RAM speed. Unless you can change it in BIOS but that might cause instability in your laptop.

I really do highly suggest you talk with Lenovo Support about which RAM to upgrade with. Show them the Lenovo Parts list that show compatible RAM for your laptop.

Elstaci greetings.

Well, I did it according to your tip, tried several contacts with Lenovo support in my country, via phone, chat and finally arrived at the international forum...

I confess that I was already getting a little upset with Lenovo, but the answer I received was this:

suporte lenovo.jpg

I don't know if I can fully trust this, but I will take the risk and buy a HyperX Impact HX424S14IB / 16 DDR4 16GB 2400Mhz Cl14 model, which is being sold at a reasonable and easy to find price.

0 Likes

Is that RAM in the Lenovo's Parts list for your laptop?  I don't recall see a 16gbyte RAM Module being listed or did you input your Laptop's Serial Number and got the correct Part's list?

You laptop may not recognize 16 gbyte RAM Sticks. All the RAM listed was at 2666 mhz and 8 gbytes or less RAM Sticks unless you, again, inputted your laptop's Serial Number and the compatible Parts list for RAM Memory includes 16 gbyte RAM Sticks.

If you do, make sure you are able to return the RAM Memory and get a refund in case it doesn't work or works badly before you purchase the RAM.

0 Likes
monster182
Adept I

Elstaci greetings.

Well, I did it according to your tip, tried several contacts with Lenovo support in my country, via phone, chat and finally arrived at the international forum...

I confess that I was already getting a little upset with Lenovo, but the answer I received was this:

suporte lenovo.jpg

I don't know if I can fully trust this, but I will take the risk and buy a HyperX Impact HX424S14IB / 16 DDR4 16GB 2400Mhz Cl14 model, which is being sold at a reasonable and easy to find price.

0 Likes