cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

AgentE0464
Adept I

Questions about Overclocking

I am wondering if overclocking my Ram to advertised speeds (3600mhz instead of 2400mhz) will void my processor warranty? Also how can it be considered Overclocking when it's advertised as that fast? Also what leniency is there for slight overclocking (to 4.0) of my 3900x?

0 Likes
1 Solution

From the Amazon link you posted it mentions to use XMP to overclock your RAM to be able to reach its rated speed:

Please remember to activate the XMP setting in your BIOS in order to reach 3600MHz frequency. Otherwise, your system might run at 2400MHz default speed setting (Without XMP, RAM will run according to RAM’s base frequency. To reach advertised speeds, must enable XMP)

I read the TimeTec Warranty and the only thing that mentions is abuse or applying wrong voltages etc. Here is the part that I copied from TimeTec Warranty:

This limited warranty does not cover any damage to the product that results from improper installation, accident, abuse, misuse, natural disaster, insufficient or excessive electrical supply, abnormal mechanical or environmental conditions, or any unauthorized disassembly, repair or modification. This limited warranty shall not apply if: (i) the product was not used in accordance with any accompanying instructions, or (ii) the product was not used for its intended function. This limited warranty also does not apply to any product on which the original identification information has been altered, obliterated or removed, that has not been handled or packaged correctly, that has been sold as second-hand or that has been resold contrary to U.S. and other applicable export regulations.

So as long as you use XMP the warranty should be good. But if you manually input Overclocking RAM settings in BIOS and you do it incorrectly (too much or too little RAM voltages as an example) and it damages the RAM the warranty would be voided.

That probably would be considered to be Customer Error thus the Warranty would be voided.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Overclocking your RAM shouldn't unless it somehow damages the AMD Processor.

But if you specifically Overclock or Underclock your AMD processor or through Customer error like installing the wrong type of CPU Cooler or the processor has bent or broken pins that will void your AMD 3 year Warranty.

I also needed to overclock my RAM to get it to it normal 3600Mhz speed from the Mobo's SPD speed. Most Mobo it seems runs RAM at its SPD speed so most Users are required to overclock the RAM using XMP Profiles in BIOS.

Does turning on XMP overclock the processor? Or just the RAM? I want to OC the Ram to get it up to it's listed speed. But I'd like to not void any warranties on the processor.

0 Likes

No it doesn't. XMP is strictly for RAM Memory hardware and configuration only.

Go ahead and OverClock your RAM, it won't affect your AMD Processor's Warranty. Just make sure your Motherboard supports the RAM Speed you plan on overclocking too.  You can look at your Motherboard's Spec at the Manufacturer's website.

I would say a huge majority of Users end up using XMP or OverClocking their RAM to get to their rated Speeds.

Now having the correct RAM can make your Processor to be more efficient and faster automatically without doing anything to the Processor.

Like I mentioned, I have G-Skill RAM rated for 3600Mhz. But my motherboard ran the RAM at its SPD which was below 3000Mhz. So I needed to overclock the RAM to 3600Mhz so that it will run at its rated speed.

Does overclocking TimeTec RAM to it's listed speed void their warranty? I've read their warranty description and it does not have any mentions of Overclocking. 

https://www.amazon.com/Timetec-PC4-28800-CL18-22-22-42-Overclocking-Compatible/dp/B0BCHKWQBZ/ref=mp_...

0 Likes

From the Amazon link you posted it mentions to use XMP to overclock your RAM to be able to reach its rated speed:

Please remember to activate the XMP setting in your BIOS in order to reach 3600MHz frequency. Otherwise, your system might run at 2400MHz default speed setting (Without XMP, RAM will run according to RAM’s base frequency. To reach advertised speeds, must enable XMP)

I read the TimeTec Warranty and the only thing that mentions is abuse or applying wrong voltages etc. Here is the part that I copied from TimeTec Warranty:

This limited warranty does not cover any damage to the product that results from improper installation, accident, abuse, misuse, natural disaster, insufficient or excessive electrical supply, abnormal mechanical or environmental conditions, or any unauthorized disassembly, repair or modification. This limited warranty shall not apply if: (i) the product was not used in accordance with any accompanying instructions, or (ii) the product was not used for its intended function. This limited warranty also does not apply to any product on which the original identification information has been altered, obliterated or removed, that has not been handled or packaged correctly, that has been sold as second-hand or that has been resold contrary to U.S. and other applicable export regulations.

So as long as you use XMP the warranty should be good. But if you manually input Overclocking RAM settings in BIOS and you do it incorrectly (too much or too little RAM voltages as an example) and it damages the RAM the warranty would be voided.

That probably would be considered to be Customer Error thus the Warranty would be voided.

Looking at TimeTec  website I would input your Motherboard and see if the RAM you purchased is compatible with the Mobo you have. Especially since you are using 128GB of RAM Kit.

Ryzen is pretty sensitive to the type of RAM being used. That is why your Motherboard Support has its own QVL List for RAM, AMD Ryzen RAM list, and the manufacturer of RAM all have compatibility lists to make sure it is compatible with both the Processor and Motherboard.

I noticed that when I inputted my Asus Motherboard there were no compatible RAM available for my X570 Motherboard at TimeTec Memory Finder feature.