cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Delionman
Adept II

Question about un-consistent detection of L3 cache on Ryzen 3900X or CPU cores under Windows 10

Hi everyone!

Using Windows 10 Task Manager I noticed that for AMD Ryzen 3900X I have only 32MB of L3 cache while CPU comes with 64MB L3 cache. I have also check this with other known tools information about CPU and cache isn't consistent. Windows 10 and some tools shows for L3 cache just 32MB. I wonder why?

Used OS: Windows 10 Enterprise
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Cooling: Fractal Design Celsius S24 Dynamic

Today I have updated BIOS to last version, version F33h from 23 march 2021. It was not BETA version.
However, few hours later I noticed that BIOS is no more available on Gigabyte website and last version looks to be F32! I had same deja vu in January when F33a was published, so then I updated BIOS to F33a. That version too, was also revoked. Unbelievable! However this is hardware issue, something in my opinion, that just to be represent like it is what I think, because I didn't use any overclocking BIOS option (because, for now I'm not so good in it).

On the other hand I've done >1000 times BIOS updates in my life and I have never updated wrong BIOS. So, my fault about BIOS version is out of question, and every next time I would make screenshots of whole page, especially because Gigabyte doesn't comes with MD5 or SHA-256 hash values/file signatures like Asus for example.

As this is my first AMD computer I have build, I would like to know how this changes about amount of L3 cache can happen and what can be the explanation? CPU is just two months old, so almost new.

I just started with VM's and VirtualBox, but whatever I configure there, even if running VM or not (was not the case on moments when rapports are generated) that should not be the reason for what Windows shows.

So, as Windows Task Manager CPU-Z shows also only 32MB of L3 cache. So far I have search, rapports of DXDiag and Windows System Information doesn't collect L3 cache information.

What I can prove is that everything has worked fine in previous installation case I have saved few rapports from then.
Saying that HWinFO64 v6.42-4360 rapport from 27 January shows L3 Cache: 4 x 16MBytes. Rapport from today also, with slightly difference about same CPU Unit Count:
[CPU Unit Count]
Number Of Processor Packages (Physical): 1
Number Of Processor Cores: 6
Number Of Logical Processors: 12

In rapport from 27 januari 2021:
[CPU Unit Count]
Number Of Processor Packages (Physical): 1
Number Of Processor Cores: 12
Number Of Logical Processors: 24

Only change from January till now are added M.2-SSD's. Is stead of two Samsung SATA-SSD's I have switch to two M.2 NVMe SSD's. The number of CPU cores in HWiNFO is also different! All screenshots except from January are made today with latest version of shows apps. Finally, everything is shown in uploaded image/photo.

Screens-AIO-v2.jpg

0 Likes
1 Solution

As from uploaded image is to see, I have solved problem by myself. As nobody have provided concrete solution, to bad, I'll keep the solution for myself.

Task-Manager-cores-and-L3-cache-issue-solved-v2.png

Solution accepted. Thanks, Delionman, you've nailed it!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
22 Replies