cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

deltakprime
Adept I

Processor & Motherboard Combination Selection Considerations

Hi everyone; Not sure if this is the best place for this question, but it looked like the best match from what I had seen so far, so here goes: I want to build a new desktop PC optimized for the OpenMandriva Linux OS, and I want to use it primarily for: 3D CAD/CAM & solid modeling Audio and video creation/editing Graphics & photo image creation/editing Real time audio analysis software Internet browsing (roughly 20 windows with 100 tabs each typically open at any given time.) Multiple email accounts Some office software - spreadsheets, databases, word processing (I’m not interested in gaming per se.) I use OpenMandriva exclusively, and have been since the early days of Mandrake/Mandriva, and I intend to continue to do so. I have also been very satisfied with AMD, and would prefer to make the most intelligent selection from among their most recent product offerings and compatible motherboard combinations. I know that I could simply order the latest & greatest (read: most expensive) regardless of cost, but I don’t see the benefit of purchasing and paying for something in excess of what is actually needed that will have little to no real benefit for the purposes intended. There are several internet sources of information regarding how to select compatible components to build a dedicated purpose PC; a few focus on optimizing for Linux, nothing specifically referring to OpenMandriva… so I thought, why not put the idea out in front of the AMD community? If there might be any particular options to consider in that respect, I would like to know. Given these qualifications, what would be your opinions, suggestions, and/or recommendations for component selection? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, and thank you all for your assistance. I truly do appreciate your help.
8 Replies
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

MSI makes great motherboards for Intel AMD and Invidia builds.

I still hear and read that Intel CPU's provide about 5 to 7% better editing performance until you get into the extreme end of AMD and Intel CPU's where both their performance characteristics have a fairly close match.

You will want a large tower. Like extended or super ATX or a home server tower.

I wouldn't go any less than a 1200 watt PSU 1350 and up would probably be better.

Video and Audio editing depend a lot on high quality large amounts of RAM and a pretty decent amount of low seek time high capacity storage. 

You don't have to break the bank. A good video and audio editing machine could run from $4000 to $8000.

Don't cheap out on the CPU cooler and high airflow (CFM) case fans for ventilation. 

Watch the online store sites for weekend sales and sales in the week following major holidays.

I do this and often save 30 to 40% off MSRP even on the latest hardware.

In your case the editing software is going to be one of your high cost items so research which one best serves your needs that way you don't by more than you need.

As for as video editing GPUs and audio editing cards I'm not very experienced with those. The last I checked Creative Labs makes a great audio editing card but that was 2 years ago. Also with all the different versions of Linux find one that is used the most with emphasis on professional editing. The reason why is the more users of a specific Linux OS the more support and updates will be available. 

Hope this is helpful. There are a lot of Linux users in the community. I don't know how many of them are into A/V editing but a lot of them are very active in streaming and recording their gaming. I bet they could provide you with more accurate advice than I can.

Certain they will reach out to you soon. Good luck. 

0 Likes

I'm experiencing difficulties posting my reply.

I did not find a section of the site devoted to problems with using the site, so I will explain:

I composed an extended reply offline using a word processor to answer your reply.

Every time i attempt to post it via copy & paste into the reply window, it is rejected, saying that my reply contained unacceptable HTML code, which has been eliminated, and that I should reread my corrected reply before posting it.

Looks no different to me... I attempt to re-post, and always receive the same response

To my knowledge, I have never included any HTML code.

I have tried saving the file as an .odt (native Libre Office), .docx (newer MS Windows), .doc (older MS Windows), and .txt (standard ASCII flat text file) to no avail.

I really don't want to retype the entire reply; there should be some way to find out what the problem is, and how to correct it... it seems as though this board insists on me manually re-typing everything into the designated little window, or no dice.

Ain't that tough Twinkies?

Any ideas? Perhaps something painfully obvious I might be overlooking?

I tried pasting it into the window, highlighting the entire text, and activating the "remove all formatting" button... it will work if I first embolden, italicize, etc, and will reliably remove its own formatting, but refuses to render my manuscript acceptable.

Looking into the Help section under the account avatar, I see that boiler plate macros are acceptable for repetitive text... seems to me this really should be a piece of cake.

And I have received notice from another community member that my previous message was unreadable... not sure what he saw, but I'd like to figure it out and take care of all of this.

0 Likes

Try a copy and paste to windows notepad or sticky notes. 

I've never had an issue copy and paste from the formats those 2 programs use.

Also considering the size of the document and if you are including screenshots from other websites. Like Newegg Amazon or Ebay those are often always in HTML formats.

If you have Microsoft office try their document software or try placing it into a zip folder and change formats till it goes through.

Sounds like it's treating your document as spam.

0 Likes

Thanks, I'll check into it.

Meanwhile, here are the boards I'm considering with either the AMD Ryzen 5900 or 5950 CPU:

ASRock X570 Creator

Asus Pro Art X570 Creator WiFi

Gigabyte X570S Aero G

MSI Prestige X570 Crreation

Any thoughts?

0 Likes

Been running into a lot of bad reviews and user issues on high end Gigabyte and Asrock MOBOS so I'd steer clear.

They've been having a repeating software issue that causes no boots constant black screens and failure to boot after display driver and OS installations.

Gigabyte and Asrock boards are strange there low to mid end boards are great. They make really reliable budget or media center builds.

Asus and MSI are pretty solid. MSI makes really easy to understand BIOS and gives the builder a lot of precision control over all hardware and software.

I think elstaci has an Asus X470 MOBO he would be a good one to ask about their features. Personally I've had bad experiences with Asus customer support in the past (around 12 years ago on 3 client builds) but their hardware is solid.

Luckily found a third party software and support site for Asus and got the software support issues cleared up.  

0 Likes

I am looking at both Asus and MSI.

I'll get back to you soon.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Personally, I would always pick Asus over MSI..

Had one MSI, although years ago it was rubbish..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.

Thanks for the reply.

Considering starting with the Asus X570S Creator, Ryzen 5700G (w/ included onboard graphics & and cooler) 32GB memory and my existing SATA drives to familiarize with system board, BIOS, & software, and then upgrade later to a 5950X (unless a better chip is available), add a GPU (to be determined), and transfer the 5700G to another case & board.

Any thoughts on this?

0 Likes