cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

matthew0930
Adept I

PROBLEM WITH GPU USAGE BEING LOW, UNDERPERFORMING PC | HELP!

When gaming my GPU's usage doesnt go above 65% while the CPU's usage stays around the 40-50% range, doesnt matter what game I'm playing (Escape From Tarkov, Rust, Dayz, just a few that I play) it doesnt change. I have tried overclocking, underclocking my GPU and CPU but that too didnt help. (currently my GPU is underclocked because on stock it was unstable and my CPU is overclocked)

Few things that I have also tried: Disabling/Enabling Game mode, Putting the power plan on High Performance, In NVIDIA Control Panel changing the Quality, Power management mode on max performance, Updating my GPU driver (with DDU),

Reinstalling Windows (I have installed Win 8, 10, 11 but on each the situation didnt change), Running games as administrator, Disabling fullscreen optimizations.

My pc:

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3700MHz
  • 16 GB DDR4 RAM (two sticks, one in the second the other in the fourth slot) 
  • MSI B450 TOMAHAWK
  • Windows 10
  • Be quiet! 650W

I will attach a few pictures about scores in benchmark programs (such as CPU-Z, and Furmark)

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

https://imgur.com/a/8S1Khhi

7 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

It almost sounds like a bottleneck situation.  If you have updated the video card drivers and chipset drivers, then I would stick with Windows 10 (Windows 11 is said to cause poor gaming performance for some people) and check memory usage too.  If you have too much running in the background, your system might we using the storage for memory access once the 16 GB of RAM is depleted.  I normally install 32 GB of RAM on modern builds.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

so I should buy more RAM and it would solve my problems? People on other sites recommended a CPU upgrade to a 5600

Before buying more RAM, first try stopping all extra apps that are running just before you start gaming.  Use Task Manager to monitor your memory usage during gaming (I think you can ALT-TAB to switch back and forth).  See if that helps at all.  If there is no change and you don't see your memory usage being anywhere near your 16 GB maximum, then the problem is probably elsewhere.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

I monitor everything with MSI Afterburner and my RAM usage is in a good range, meaning my pc doesnt slow down while gaming, the max i see my RAM being used is 14000Mb

I would then go back to the NVidia drivers and look at the settings again.  Did you update your chipset drivers for your AMD CPU?  Have you checked to see if you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard?

0 Likes

no i havent because i heard that it can mess up the whole pc is that true or should i try it?

Flashing the BIOS can be a dangerous procedure.  You need to make sure that you don't lose power during the process, which takes a few minutes.  Some motherboards have a backup BIOS chip, but generally not the cheaper motherboards.  If there is a new BIOS out there on your motherboard manufacturer's website, read the instructions and download it to a USB stick that is formatted in FAT32.  Extract the BIOS file (they are usually zipped) to then have the 'bin' file available for when you flash the motherboard.  Again, follow the instructions.  BIOS updates can fix all sorts of problems with CPU and GPU performance if the cause is due to bugs in the previous BIOS file.

0 Likes