cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mebillyhui
Journeyman III

Problem with EXITINFO2 value during SVM NPF

I am writing a custom hypervisor implementation which intercepts NPF for some pages initially marked as "Not Present" or the "P" field is 0, and those pages happen to be mapped by the OS as .text section in some user mode programs. The intention is to get an "Execution Fault" when the I/D field of the faulting nested PTE will become 1 indicating that the physical page accessed is not present when a program is trying to execute it. Everything works as expected except for the EXITINFO2 value which gives me the faulting guest PA. The implementation I've been working on relies on the lower 12 bits of the EXITINFO2 or the offset of a faulting physical page (which is being executed) and in rare cases the offset happen to be 0 even when the page offset of the guest RIP is not 0. Given the development manual "Volume 2: System Programming" my understanding is that the page offset of guest RIP should always be same as the page offset of EXITINFO2 should an "Execution Fault" occures on that page. Additionally what I've discovered is that this happens when the instruction which caused the fault happen to be following a CALL instruction, something looks like the following:

CALL  function

MOV   reg1, reg2  ;<- guest RIP during the NPF, page offset of EXITINFO2 is always 0

;even when the virtual page offset of this instruction is not.

My configuration only use 4K physical pages. This gets really technical regarding SVM, hope I'm explaining everything clearly.

0 Likes
2 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

mebillyhui, this is a users forum.  I do not know where you will find this information, I certainly cannot help you an doubt many here can.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Can you clarify what type of programming this ensues?  OpenCL or OpenGL or VMware type or some other type of programming you are using?  might be able to guide you to the correct Forum if possible.

Does this concern a Server or a workstation type programming?

What OS are you using and version?

0 Likes