cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

rogyp
Journeyman III

POST time

How to decrease POST time, it is taking too long to reach windows logo screen. When it finally does reach windows logo it boots in 2 seconds. I am using Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256 GB. I have asked Gigabyte and they said that it depend on the Agesa  code of AMD.

System specs:

Ryzen 7 3800X, Noctua NH-D15
X570 AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.0) 
Corsair Vengeance led 16gb (2X8) ddr4 3000mhz
MSI 1080Ti Gaming
Samsung Pro 840 256GB
Samsung EVO 850 500GB
Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX Power Supply
Corsair Carbide Series Air 540

0 Likes
7 Replies

There are two options in your BIOS. One is "Fast Boot", or whatever Gigabyte calls it, enable that. The second is "POST Delay Time", set that to no less than 2 seconds.

0 Likes

Fast boot doesn't help and there is no "POST Delay Time" option.

0 Likes
waltc
Miniboss

My x570 Aorus Master boots (Bios F7a) to Win10 desktop in 10 seconds, including post--from a cold boot.  I don't use fastboot.  I boot from an EVO 960 250GB NVMe drive. I honestly cannot recommend using Fastboot, either in Windows or in the bios--it's always had problems as far back as I can remember.  In any case, as I found, it isn't needed as 10 seconds is plenty fast enough for me...;)  Generally, when a system takes an unusually long time to post, say 20 seconds or longer in post, it's because of a hardware conflict somewhere in the system that the autoconfig routines in the bios are trying to reconcile so that the boot can commence.  Generally, this can be corrected by changing current bios settings to those more applicable to one's current hardware, as usually bios settings that don't really work are the culprits.

0 Likes

I've updated BIOS to F7a, nothing has changed. My boot time is 18,8 seconds. Which CPU do you have?

0 Likes

Bios time depends on all your settings in bios and the other hardware on your machine. Number of drives, type of drives, fans, pumps, USB devices attached etc. Bios takes more time to prepare things the more things you have to prepare. It has to detect all of these things before it can post, mainly for its own purposes such as using or changing settings of the devices in bios settings.

0 Likes
tachyonmatrix
Journeyman III

My MSI B450 Tomahawk Max takes 21.9 seconds to post & then a few more seconds to complete boot. I disabled CSM, but still same result.

0 Likes
allikas
Journeyman III

I have  the same problem. Post screen is taking 21 sec. after that boot is taking 5 seconds  (MSI X570-A PRO, whith Ryzen 5 3600)

1. First i ask msi support how to fix this, first answer was "enable and use UEFI boot" - that didn't do anyting

2.Second answer what i get in MSI forum (not official answer) is that "Gigabyte has problems with slow boot too. It's that AMD has bad coding regarding their 3000 series CPU"

"if you this is really that important for you, then you should consider switching to Intel platform"

Now my biggest question, is there any solutin to get faster boot (POST sceen ), or is it realy true that the problem is AMD coding, and if i want fast start to PC, then I should get intel platform

0 Likes