cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

sviskebisk
Journeyman III

Poor CPU performance

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/50714664 Link for a benchmark test of my computer, you can see how poorly my ram and CPU scores are.

My GPU stutters in games when it shouldn't. I have an RTX 3060 graphics card which should be able to run all games on ultra with good results. Counter strike global offensive stutters regularily and I only get 100-120 fps, but the previous GPU (GTX 980 Ti) gave me 150-200.

I don't know why this happens. The computer is only a year old, and the GPU brand new. Can it have something to do with power supply? Drivers are all up to date.

0 Likes
6 Replies
vialli100
Forerunner

Your new GPU actually needs less power than your old one..

Having read a few things online, the Ryzen 7 1700 is bottlenecking your new GPU..

I think you will need to upgrade your cpu.. Ryzen 7 3700x would be fine..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.

Be aware that nVidia has or had, a problem with drivers regarding older CPU generations.

Hardware Unboxed covered this in the past.
At some point, even a 5600XT was outperforming an 3070 (let alone a 3060) when paired with a Ryzen 1600X

You may want to check out nVidia support foruns about this.

johnnyenglish_0-1645561891908.png

The Englishman
0 Likes

According to this FPS & Bottleneck Calculator website your CPU is causing major bottle-necking of your GPU card: https://www.cpuagent.com/build-compare/amd-ryzen-7-1700-vs-intel-core-i9-10900k/summary/nvidia-gefor...

Screenshot 2022-02-19 231725.pngScreenshot 2022-02-22 175429.png

You PC has both slow RAM and a CPU that can't keep up with your powerful Nvidia GPU card. Thus when you have a lot of bottle-necking occurring this can cause stuttering in games.

The stuttering occurs because the processor can't keep up with the GPU and the GPU needs to wait for the CPU to finish processing the information being received from the GPU and sent back to the GPU to continue again.

This is a good Tech article from a gaming site that explains how bottlenecking causes stuttering: https://www.gpumag.com/gpu-bottleneck/

Encountering a bottleneck, whether it affects the GPU or CPU, is not a good experience. When these bottlenecks occur, you will see a lower frame rate or might experience stuttering and that simply is not a good way to play video games.

In the world of computers, bottlenecking means one component is performing far better than another, forcing it to slow down in order to maintain a balance between the two. In addition to a GPU bottleneck, there is also a CPU bottleneck. Let’s see what the differences are between the two and how they vary depending on the game you’re playing.

As you might already know, there are games that are more reliant on your CPU than your GPU. These include some of the most popular simulation games, such as Cities: Skylines or the Civilization series. Because these games need to perform a lot of simulation (as the genre’s name suggests) they need the CPU to process all that data in order to function properly.

Conversely, there are games the tax the GPU far more. These are usually visually impressive AAA games, such as The Witcher 3 and Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla.

As the GPU is specifically designed to work with visual data to improve the look of the game, it will be placed under a far greater strain when dealing with graphically demanding games.

Both these types of bottlenecks occur when there is a noticeable power mismatch between your components.

A strong GPU with an outdated CPU will be able to produce as many frames as the game allows but, as it needs to wait for the CPU to perform its own processing, the GPU will be unable to send all those frames to the display.

Likewise, if you pair a strong CPU with an entry-level GPU, the CPU will have to wait until the GPU produces the requested frames. In effect, this is exactly what a GPU bottleneck is.

EDIT: The same website gives a fix for Stuttering in games: https://www.gpumag.com/stuttering-in-games-fix/

I way is to run the games in with lower options or resolutions until you don't get stuttering anymore.

I'm not here to hijack the thread, but..

I cannot agree with the bottleneck, although it was a great post of yours, very insightful and clear.
But it cannot explain the fact he lost fps.

Counter strike global offensive stutters regularily and I only get 100-120 fps, but the previous GPU (GTX 980 Ti) gave me 150-200.

There was a drop in performance with the upgrade, it shouldn't, even bottlenecking hard as it is. I've done testing with a B350 and Ryzen 1600X paired with a MSI stock RX480 and I'm getting around 150fps, heck, I get averages of 250 with a 2700X, more than what he has on CSGO with a 3060. So, something is not OK there. But again, I don't have all the details, I could be missing something. Not even a RX6800 got severely bottlenecked like the 3060 on a R7 1700. (See below picture)

My point before still remains valid. Nvidia cards are not a good match with older CPU's.
I can see a lot of systems with nvidia cards, like this 3080, failing miserably on the Ryzen first gen but when a simple RX570 comes into play.. well... the videos speak for themselves and Hardware Unboxed covered it quite well.

R7 1700 + RTX3080 with lows 134 and peaks of 300

johnnyenglish_0-1645581070729.png

R7 1700 + RX570 Lows 120fps and peaks 220fps

johnnyenglish_1-1645581116996.png

Check a RX6800 on a Ryzen 1700... Now that's a proper result, 291fps and with OC, 367 average with peaks of 452!

johnnyenglish_1-1645588632663.png

johnnyenglish_0-1645588190339.png

@sviskebisk Have a look if you have the same performance levels as this guy vid (URL Below), seems at first glance a similar setup to yours and compare in other games rather than just CS GO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n96z2AYlPRs&t=1036s

Start doing some search on nvidia forums, checking CS GO forums, they do have some tricks to optimize the game.
I've seen some threads on reddit too. Check&Mess with your adrenalin settings, I had Real RTWC on steam working so bad (like sub 60fps) that I was embarrassed to show, until I checked Radeon Enhanced Sync in adrenalin, and instantly I got my fps reading back to normal. In other games I have to uncheck FreeSync at all or disable AntiAliasing because its bugging/crashing.

As always! Make sure you used DDU to completely remove the previous drivers and BTW enable DOCP if your ram if  supports it. You can try your luck with 2933 or 3200, my brother can run 3200 on the Ryzen 1700X, but its not guaranteed.

AND! Because I don't know which monitor you have, check your vsync if its ON, you may have a 120hz and its normally capped.

ALSO: Take into consideration that the link you provided gave you an answer:
Overall this PC is performing below expectations (26th percentile). This means that out of 100 PCs with exactly the same components, 74 performed better. The overall PC percentile is the average of each of its individual components. Use the charts in the benchmark sections of this report to identify problem areas.

You could have something there causing serious problems. So check your system for errors.

In the end if you can't find the problem, the best course of action is: wait for the next Ryzen release, because the 5600X won't work on B350 boards and thus you have to always buy a board in the process.

The Englishman
0 Likes

Thanks guys, i will try these steps on at a time

0 Likes

What PSU do you have BTW?

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes