Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

baelox
Journeyman III

Please help me to Dissassemble AM4 socket

Hello,

There is a small amount of thermal paste inside my CPU socket (shown in images)

https://imgur.com/a/FlujiZz#YgIczw1

there are 2 things i would like help with:

1- How to take off my plastic socket from my mobo so i can clean it with isoproic alcohol

2- Once i have the plastic socket off can i just pour 99% isopropic alcohol onto my mobo socket or is that harmful to mobo

Any advice on either of these matters would be much appreciated

much love

0 Likes
3 Replies
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

I would advice looking up Louis Rossmann videos on YouTube.

He specializes in repairing apple PC Xbox PlayStation and many other forms of entertainment/work related electronic hardware and software.

He has a lot of really good step by step videos on how to fix a lot of PC hardware problems.

WARNING this is a very high skill experience based area to work with. The work requires specialized tools extreme care and patience. If you feel in any way that you are not ready to undertake this task (could easily cause irreparable damage to your MOBO) then I advice seeking out a professional PC repair technician.

I'm certain there are some in this community.

I strongly advise checking out DIY videos on this repair topic. DO THE RESEARCH SO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GETTING INTO. I cannot stress the DIY RESEARCH enough when it comes to anything outside of your current level of experience.

You wouldn't attempt to pet a tiger just because you have a loving housecat. I hope.

0 Likes
DRDOS
Adept III

1. If you don't have a good experience in repair and/or DIY works of this kind, then it's better to leave it as is (do not touch it at all, especially if PC works properly), or to leave this work for repair service professional. AM4 socket is quite vulnerable to a mechanical impacts (it has very thin pins, unlike older Socket versions), it's very high risk to cause damage if try to disassemble it having no proper skill and experience. If Socket's pins will get torn off of the motherboard, then it might be very difficult to repair it even for qualified service engineer, in worst case such repair work may cost more than new motherboard, or it might be not practically repairable at all.

2. If it's isopropyl alcohol of the proper quality, then it's safe.
In some cases it's more effective to use a special gasoline that is specially intended for such kind of works, because it dissolves some substances better than isopropyl alcohol does.
But (looking at the photo) i wouldn't suggest to use it for cleaning the Socket in this case, because dissolved thermal grease may get taken inside of the socket and to disrupt the electrical contact with CPU's pins, and as said before - it's better to not disassemble the Socket having no proper skills and experience.
Though, you may safely clean the CPU's pins with isopropyl alcohol (using, e.g., soft paintbrush), but carefully, to not cause damage to a pins (they are very thin and may get torn off easily).

rainingtacco
Challenger

Take isopropyl alcohol and rub it into tooth brush and brush it vigorously. Take a very thin paper around needle head and clear these holes if any paste remain after brushing. You will be fine, i too had paste spill in my pc building career and it was fine. Remember that CPU pins carry quite a high current, so they aren't very picky about contact area to work properly. 

0 Likes