cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

softprogram
Adept I

Please comment on the following configuration for professor in university to do daily scientific research

CPU : AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 1920X
Mainboard : MSI X399 SLI PLUS
Ram : CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 4000MHz C19 LED Desktop Memory - Black
SSD NMV2 : Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - CT1000P1SSD8 

HDD : reuse the old hdd 
Monitor : reuse the old monitor 

The price for above configuration is 1179 usd . not including the shipment fee to vietnam . Power supply and case will be bought in vietnam . Other items like mouse , keyboard ,  Only cpu cooling system -60 degrees C  in vietnam in order to oc to 4.6 Ghz with 12 cores and 24 physic threads .

The configuration above is used for programming to solve problems in mathematics and certainly programming softwares . 

For the simulation in physic , chemistry , pick more vga with 1500 usd 
AORUS GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti XTREME WATERFORCE WB 11G 

So , in total around 2700 usd . I think that is minimum for real science research about 60 millions vietnam dong . Any comment for above configuration , please write it down . Thank you .

PS : simulation is like OpenFoam , and certainly AI programming with GPU . 

0 Likes
6 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

softprogram, the big problem is only two memory sticks.  TRs have four channel memory controllers requiring at least four sticks of memory to get full data rate.  If that is all the memory you need, try 4X4GB - I recommend memory with Samsung B-Dies.  The strong rumors say TR 3 will announce soon ( I do not know), others have stated here that when that happens TR 2 processors should drop in price.  TR 2 will OC much easier than TR 1 and I suggest going with TR 2.  Enjoy, John.

Thank you about the comment on the ram . So buy more CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 4000MHz  . So in total , we have 32 GB much for any heavy software running on cpu . 

TR 2990WX is another best choice but it consumes energy too much at the base frequency . its TDP is more 60 W than  TR 1920X . When oc it , it can have 5.1 Ghz at maximum when use with -60 degrees C cooling system . At that point , I think that it consumes huge energy in comparison to TR 1920 . TR 1920X can go to 4.6 Ghz but much much less energy consumption than TR 2990WX . And most important ,  it is much much cheaper than TR 2990WX .   If the professor wants , he can upgrade pc with TR 2990WX for 5 to 6 years to come . But at the present , TR 1920X is the best choice for all aspects : energy consumption , 4.6 Ghz high frequency , enough 24 physic threads for all heavy software , finance ability . 

0 Likes

I suggest a good 750W or better power supply. While it may seem excessive, the power supply is more efficient at 40-50% loading.

0 Likes

Power : 

AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 1920X  : 314.9 W  . In stress test result from tom's hardware .

Cooling system consumption                : 180 W        for -60 degrees C . 

And Mainboard power consumption     :  not find out 

vga card consumtion                             : 303.52 W  .

ram consumption                                   : 16 W .

ssd consumption . hdd consumption     : 0.71 W

I estimate total around 1000 W .

So buy a 1200 W PSU for this pc . With more than 200 W , we can have one device getting power from usb like smartphone or scanner  or we can install more  an express card device or even more vga card  ... . This PSU is available in vietnam . 

0 Likes

The Corsair AX1200i is quite capable and it can handle 3 high-end video cards.

It also has a lot of cables for various motherboard needs.

I use the AX860i as I use but one video card and the worse one so far was the HD 6970 which was 267W loaded

nikolay213
Journeyman III

Thanks for your oppinion. I can also recommend https://financeworld.io/ - market trading.

0 Likes