Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Radium122
Adept I

Pins bent on new cpu

Hello,

I received my shipment from AMD today. An RX 6950 XT and an R7 5800X3D. When unpacking, I noticed that no padding material was used. Before I wanted to put the CPU in the socket, I looked at the pins. The pins are partially bent and the CPU does not fit into the socket. AMD is this a joke?

1 Solution
Radium122
Adept I

an update
I decided to
straighten the pins
myself. The cpu now
fits back into the
socket and the pc
runs.
I will never order from
AMD directly in the
shop again.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

I am assuming that the AMD Processor arrived in a sealed Official AMD Retail box. If it didn't then you have no AMD Warranty except through the Retailer or vendor.

But if it did then do the below:

Take photos of all the packing that the AMD Processor came in plus photos of the bent pins on the processor and open a AMD Warranty to see if they will accept an RMA in your situation.

Plus the original official receipt of the purchase of the processor.

AMD Warranty is automatically Voided if the pins are bent or broken on the processor. So, You will need to convince AMD that the pins were already bent when you first opened the package. Otherwise you will have an expensive paperweight.

Here is AMD Warranty link: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form

Thanks for the answer. Ordered directly from AMD Shop (Germany) The CPU box was sealed. As already written, no padding material was used in the much too large package. The processor was shipped together with the Gpu (RX 6950 XT). The CPU was probably damaged during transport by moving the GPU.

Thanks for the update.

The only thing you can do is open a AMD Warranty to see if they will replace it under Warranty if they should believe your reason.

Need to take many photos to show AMD how the package arrived with the lack of packing and the AMD Retail box the processor came in.

Besides, In Europe you have a Consumer Law that gives you 2 years of Warranty automatically from the Retailer besides the 3 year AMD Warranty. But not sure how AMD Warranty works in regards to Europe's Consumer law.

Note: The CPU shouldn't have been damaged while in transit if it was packed  in a sealed Official AMD Box. Unless it was boxed damaged already from the AMD.

0 Likes

I opened an rma and also took pictures of the packaging.

When unpacking, the CPU was not in the window of the packaging. that means she was already squashed in the box.

0 Likes
Radium122
Adept I

an update
I decided to
straighten the pins
myself. The cpu now
fits back into the
socket and the pc
runs.
I will never order from
AMD directly in the
shop again.

Glad to hear you were able to manually straighten the pins yourself. Alternatively, you could apply for an RMA if you encounter issues now or in the future.