Processors

Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

Pin missing, but still work...

Jump to solution

missing pin.png

Hello friends everywhere,

Recently, I obtained a processor, Sempron X2 190 AM3, in order to make performance comparison with  A4-3300, for they both almost possess the exactly same processor core (not concern for the memory controller and so forth). After benchmarks with AIDA64 and CPU-Z, A4-3300 gains a little improvements for its integrated internal connections. But the problem is that the processor I obtained lack one pin, A3 (VSS), shown on the above picture. It could still work, but I have no ideas, what does that pin use for. Lack of it, would this processor lack some functions too? Any reply is appreciated, many thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Re: Pin missing, but still work...

Jump to solution

Assuming you have identified the pin correctly...

VSS is only one of many ground pins on the CPU. Losing one ground pin should not be a problem for the CPU to function.

Socket AM3 Processor Functional Data Sheet

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

That information is not available.

RayM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

Jump to solution

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

why not

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Because that information is proprietary.   

RayM
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

Jump to solution

OK, I used something else sticking into the socket making it contact with the missing pin. There is nothing different. I have the similar experiences when I was in my early twenty something. Any reply is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

Assuming you have identified the pin correctly...

VSS is only one of many ground pins on the CPU. Losing one ground pin should not be a problem for the CPU to function.

Socket AM3 Processor Functional Data Sheet

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

assuming that the pad is still there, the best solution to ensure that the pad is making connection is to solder a new pin on.

using a good magnifying glass and a steady hand and any value 1/4 watt resistor.

Step 1. Attach the heat spread to a solid surface such as table or desktop double sided tape or picture handing putty to prevent CPU movement during repair.

Step 2. put a drop of liquid flux on the pad, position magnifying glass to provide the best view without interfering with work area.

Step 3. using low wattage soldering iron 12watt recommended with small tip and small chisel tip quickly apply heat and remove you should now have have a shiny pad.

Step 4. Take a new 1/4 resistor and skuff the wire with a clean dish washing scouring pad by sandwiching the wire and pulling from the barrel of the resistor to the end of  the wire several times.

Step 5. bend wire at 90 degrees approximate 3/8ths of an inch from the end, apply drop of liquid flux to both the wire and pad.

Step 6. carefully position bent end of wire to center of domed solder pad and re flow the connection with the iron remove heat while holding wire firmly until joint hardens, Trim wire flush with sharp pair of nippy clippers and straighten new wire pin with tweezers if needed.

There you have it the 0.01 cent CPU pin repair and that's my 2 cents

Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

Jump to solution

Thank you very much for your suggestions and methods to fix that processor.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

?You are welcome. I have repaired many processors with broken pins with much success, The two outer rows are fairly easy3rd row and  further in to the center will require making custom tips or your soldering iron

0 Kudos