cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ChiAdamson
Journeyman III

Performance/Heat issues with Ryzen 9 5950X + RX 6900 XT

I am at wits end; can someone please give me advice on how to proceed?  I completed my new build, and to say that I am dissatisfied with the performance is a huge understatement.  Everything runs slow, even windows after the computer has been running for just a short while.  Framerates in games are terrible.  The internet seems ‘laggy’, and sometimes takes 10+ seconds to load the google homepage!  (I have a 1 GB fiber connection)

Symptoms/Issues:

• After a short period of time (30 minutes or less) I notice that even dragging my mouse cursor/window or closing a browser tab is incredibly slow and studders.  It’s so slow the tab-closing animation in Chrome takes about 3 seconds.
  • Running games even at 1080P I get very low framerates – Subnautica gave me 13 fps last night!
  • I get a flicker on the screen occasionally.
  • Running a torture test with Prime 95 causes the CPU temperature to hit 80 usually in less than a minute – so I shut it down at 79.  Note:  the slowness and studdering issues occur even at much lower temperatures.

I can attach my DxDiag file if needed, but here are the basics:

• CPU – Ryzen 9 5950X
  • MB - ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi II AMD AM4 X570S
  • Memory – 64GB G.SKILL DDR4 3600
  • Boot Drive – Samsung 980 PRO M.2 2280 PCI-E Gen 4.0 x4 NVMe
  • Video Card – ASRock Radeon RX 6900 XT
  • OS – Win 10 Enterprise 64-bit
  • Power – Corsair RM 1000X 80+ 1000w GOLD
  • CPU Cooling – Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • Case and Cooling – Cougar Panzer Evo with 4 120mm Case Fans (3 front, 1 rear) in addition to the 3 on the CPU water cooler.

What I have done to troubleshoot:

• Ensure that windows is updated – currently 19045.2311
  • Updated the motherboard BIOS – Version 4404 from 2022/06/01
  • Ran Asus EZ Update tool – it says that there is no need to update the environment.
  • Ran memtest 86 for 10+ passes over several days – no issues.
  • Update AMD video drivers – currently 22.11.2
  • Update the AMD Chipset drivers

Odd things that I have noticed:

• The memory I got was advertised at 3600mHz, but it shows as 1799.6mHz in CPU-Z
  • I thought about updating to windows 11 – but I don’t see the option in windows updates.

What I am thinking about trying:

• I purchased a DeepCool AK500 Air Cooler – to see if that helps with the heat issues running the torture test.

After trying a different cooler (I don’t think cooling is related to the performance issue, as CPU-Z/Core Temp shows as low as 40 when it starts stuttering and lagging), I am not sure where to go from here.  I may have several different issues, but I don’t know where to start.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Solution
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Did you check for corrupt system files?  Is this a clean windows install?  My 5850x and XFX rx 6900 xt black on a gigabyte x570 aorus master with g.skill trident z neo 3600 are a very fast combo in W11 pro the only OS I've used with them.

To update to W11 go to:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11 and follow the instructions.

I'm also using an evga supernova g2 1300w PS, evga cl360 aio in a coolermaster haf 932 case with superb airflow so the temps are good even under load.

To me it sounds like your windows install is to blame for the poor performance.  High temps are subjective based on case air flow, cooling gear and thermal paste.  I use arctic mx-5 ATM and have mx6 for the next time I remove the water block.

Thinking back to my very first x570 mb I was using an Asus Crosshair VIII X570 Hero and it was super slow because it was defective.  Good luck on resolving your issue.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

ChiAdamson, your processor is specified to 90C, so you have not shown a heat issue. CPU-Z shows 1800MHz because you have DDR (Double Data Rate memory) and the memory transfer takes place on the up and down going clock.  I would suggest you solve this problem before going to W11.  Did you install a fresh copy of W10? Please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master running one of your games. Please be careful running MB utilities (including ASUS).  They tend to try to optimize your system and fail. Thanks, John.

EDIT: How many cores and threads does CPU-Z show?

0 Likes

Misterj,

Thank you for your response!

• Yes, this is a fresh install of Windows.
  • CPU-Z shows 16 cores and 32 threads.
  • I have included a SS of Ryzen Mater when running Subnautica at 1920 x 1080 @ 11 FPS

RyzenMaster_Subnautica_3DEC2022_13FPS.png

P.S.  I did not include in my OP that the first time I ran a torture test on my PC I did not monitor the temperature, but after about 4 minutes my PC shut itself down.  Since I was not monitoring temps, I did not think it helpful, sorry I did not include that info in the OP.

0 Likes

ChiAdamson, the only thing I can see is that your are in Manual OC mode (Over Clock).  Please change your control mode to Default and see what happens.  Also, did you install a fresh copy of W10?  I will continue to look. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Please go into Basic View in RM (before changing to Default) and post a SS.

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Did you check for corrupt system files?  Is this a clean windows install?  My 5850x and XFX rx 6900 xt black on a gigabyte x570 aorus master with g.skill trident z neo 3600 are a very fast combo in W11 pro the only OS I've used with them.

To update to W11 go to:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11 and follow the instructions.

I'm also using an evga supernova g2 1300w PS, evga cl360 aio in a coolermaster haf 932 case with superb airflow so the temps are good even under load.

To me it sounds like your windows install is to blame for the poor performance.  High temps are subjective based on case air flow, cooling gear and thermal paste.  I use arctic mx-5 ATM and have mx6 for the next time I remove the water block.

Thinking back to my very first x570 mb I was using an Asus Crosshair VIII X570 Hero and it was super slow because it was defective.  Good luck on resolving your issue.

Before I did a fresh install I decided to upgrade to windows 11 and see what happens.  After the upgrade, it appears that everything is working as expected.  Framerates are pegged, and the stuttering and lag is gone.  I would have never thought that windows would cause these symptoms, but I know now!

0 Likes

ChiAdamson, what was your solution? New Windows install. W10, W11? John.

0 Likes

misterj,

Sorry for the slow response, work has been hell.

As I had not invested much effort into the W10 install, I decided to try an upgrade to W11 and see what happened.  The W11 upgrade (mostly) fixed my Windows performance issues and increased framerates.  However, I have not had much time (work) to really dig into it, and there appears that there may still be some issues.

I am going to track the remaining issues down (if they indeed are still there) and re-post them in another thread.  Thank you for your assistance!

Adam

0 Likes
ChiAdamson
Journeyman III

Thanks for your reply hrpuff,

I am using MX-5 also.  I will check for corrupt system files and/or try another fresh install of windows, maybe boot it up to Win 11.

0 Likes
Migz-DH
Adept II

You've had some good replies so far. The first thing I can think to add is that reading your post, I felt like malware or virus was taking your performance over time (like for mining or some such thing). But, you wrote that you did a new install of Win 10.

As written above, I also suggest reinstalling Win 10 completely fresh. Do not save any files from the previous installation. Do a full format of your drive. You can, of course, save your personal files elsewhere before formatting, scan them for malware/viruses, and move the safe files back after reinstalling Windows and testing it for performance issues.

After reinstalling, make sure that your BIOS is set to completely default settings to test your system and get baseline readings for everything.  If the system is stable at that point, you can begin making small changes one at a time and testing them to make sure that the system doesn't break along the way. If it does, revert the change.

As you have an R9 5950X, you will have the dreaded EDC cap bug in the most recent BIOSs, and you'll want to set EDC to 139 (or you can try 140, but it might throttle) to avoid throttling due to that limit.

0 Likes